Anybody else remember.....

Manda:-D

Reaction score
2 Shows-Grace Under Fire & Due South?
Grace was this single mom & 2 kids, & I think she worked at a factory w/all these guys. (One of the jokes was that she ALWAYS was w/a bunch of guys.) She was a brash Southerner, and there was this HILARIOUS running gag that she would call somewhere, (like 911), or get a call, and she'd say something, and you get the inpression the other person said something, and she'd pause, and respond, "Well what are YOU wearing?" Funny show!!! I don't think it lasted very long, though...
My favorite, though, was Due South. The kinda nutty Canadian Mountie heads to Chicago to avenge the murder of his father & ends up staying to help out the Chicago police office along w/cop Ray....It sounds serious, but, boy, was this show EVER whacked out!!! From Deefenbecker, Benton's deaf WOLF, to the fact that Benton talked WITH his dead father often, to the fact that Benton & Ray, and well, EVERYONE, was just so BIZARRE!!! The most classic episodes, (there were a few of these), were, (at least, in MY opinion), the ones a/b the Mountie riding show, & the dude that put a bomb on their train, & then his arrest & trial! (Lesli Nielson plays Benton's dad's old friend!) It also introduces alot of the new characters that show up....It does this funky thing where Ray is replaced, (the REAL Ray was undercover), after a while, but I'm not sure WHICH Ray I prefer! (Most of this isn't gonna make any sense unless you actually watched the show!)
Just wanna if anyone else watched these, and if they loved these shows, (partic DS), as much as I did!!!!!

Super Scooter

Reaction score

No.

Hehe! Actually, I remember hearing about those two shows. But I never watched 'em.

beaker

Reaction score
I remember seeing Grace Under Fire ONCE...it was an episode where they made fun of the black cable guy, had a kid dresslike a skinhead, and made other typical ignorant remarks...it also had the Bubba from In the Heat of the Night. I'm not to sure that tv show was a big hit amongst the African American demographic...though I heard Frasier, Friends, and Will and Grace IS HUGE amongst the more 'urban youth' demographic.

Btw, here's a few you'll remember...

Empty Next and Perfect Stranger syndicated reruns at 3 in the morning. You know who you are...watching Wings and obscure late 80's sitcoms on channel 63 way past your bed time.

Northern Exposure(which remidned me of Twin Peaks)

Great Space Coaster(one of the cooler non JHC muppet shows)

Today's Special(another obscure 80's puppet shows)

Buster and Me(see above)

Lu775

Reaction score
Due South was a great show.
It's still on in re-runs here on BBC-Canada, and on Showcase (I think).
It was extremely popular in the UK, so even when the American funding pulled out (and the original Ray left) they kept making the show for all the Canadian and British fans. (Lucky us!)
Paul Gross is quite the hottie, and looks great in that Mountie uniform. :wink: He's been keeping busy since Due South ended- he wrote and starred in the movie, "Men with Brooms", and I was fortunate enough to see him perform Hamlet a couple years ago.

Reaction score
Yeah, I liked DS A LOT more than Grace Under Fire....Though, from GUF all I really remember is the "What are YOU wearing?" gag. I didn't watch it much.
But, hehehehe, Due South.....Now THAT show was awesome....They showed reruns of it on TNT a couple of years back....Communicating via semaphore...Hehehehehe......I LOVED Perfect Strangers, Beaker!!!! I even used to do the "Dance of Joy" ALL THE TIME when I was younger!!!! And Today's Special was one of my FAVORITE shows as a kid....I don't think I watched them at 3 in the morning, though!!!! (Though I DID used to stay up late to watch Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, the most RANDOM show ever created!!!)
....Ah, good times. Good times. :big_grin:

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Manda:-D
I LOVED Perfect Strangers, Beaker!!!! I even used to do the "Dance of Joy" ALL THE TIME when I was younger!!!!
*YAY*!!! So cool people remember that show! That, ALF, and cosby were my fave 80's sitcoms hands down! "Don't be rediculous cousin Larry!"..LOL, the Meposian Dance of Joy. Man, all great sitcoms I think came from the 80's. Even Seinfeld debuted in the Summer of 1989!

Btw, Bronchot Pinchot is gonna be int own here doing some limited run off off broadway play...now if only he could reunite with Mr. Appleton, they could do Perfect Strangers the broadway musical! LOL

Luke

Reaction score
I didn't think Grace Under Fire was too bad once ya got into it - could get irritating sometimes though. We still have it on TV here late nights along with things like Roseanne.

How about Mork & Mindy - that was cool for a while !

DramaQueen86

Reaction score
I used to watch GUF all the time. it was one of my faves!!!

Reaction score
Maybe I should've called this the "bizarre TV shows we remember" thread......
And on that note, anybody else ever watch this TRIP of a show, Nowhere Man? It was one of those conspiracy, everybody's-out-to-get-me shows that came out in the early 90's.....I'm a BIG fan of those :big_grin: