Anybody On Here Like Grinch Grinches The Cat In The Hat?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, I like the fact Dr. Seuss, out of ALL the TV specials done, spoke of Butter Battle Book the highest. Not that it isn't very good in its own right, and I am a Bakshi fan, but it's a shame he didn't seem to care for these other ones.

The Grinch Vs. The Cat in the Hat I feel is a better sequel/prequel to the Christmas tale. It seems like the Halloween wants to be in the middle of that, since that's the one where Max leaves (I remember him being absent in GGCITH, haven't seen it for a while to make sure), but it also says that after finally dropping his nasty reclusive persona and being included with the rest of the Whos, he became nasty and reclusive again just to torture people who dare venture out. I believe TV Tropes would call it Aesop Amnesia.

I also like to think Horton Hears a Who (at least the Chuck Jones version) is somehow connected in their universe. After all, the Grinch has a cameo somewhere in a crowd.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
(I remember him being absent in GGCITH, haven't seen it for a while to make sure)
Max is definitely in Grinch Grinches the Cat in the Hat, he just doesn't really do much except react to the Grinch. Though he does get a nice moment at the end, lol.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I really like this special. I especially like the weird animation in the restauraunt scene.

It's kind of interesting how this and How the Grinch Stole Christmas both end with the Grinch turning good, but Halloween is Grinch Night doesn't. I've tried thinking up ways to make them chronological...
  • The Grinch Grinches the Cat in the Hat comes first, then after he turns good he moves to Whoville (I'm pretty sure this special doesn't take place there), then coems Halloween is Grinch Night, and after Max runs away he gets Max back and Max appreciates the Grinch better, and then comes How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
  • First is the Christmas one, then after his heart grows he moves away, becomes mean during this special (thanks to his mirror), and after turning good again decides to move back to Whoville for Grinch Night, where he's reminded of why he hated the Whos in the first place, only this time he never gets redeemed, and even loses Max. A real downer ending, especially when you consider the events of the others.

It's probably best not to fit these into continuity, though.

One thing I had wondered: Max is good while The Grinch usually isn't, but does Max hate The Cat in the Hat, since dogs hate cats (well, my dogs don't hate my cats)? In this special I'm not really sure.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
One thing I had wondered: Max is good while The Grinch usually isn't, but does Max hate The Cat in the Hat, since dogs hate cats (well, my dogs don't hate my cats)? In this special I'm not really sure.
Well dogs are very loyal and Max is no different to the Grinch usually, but he'd clearly prefer it if the Grinch listened to the Cat once and awhile, lol.

MissMusical12

Reaction score
I liked "The Grinch Grinches The Cat In The Hat" and "Halloween Is Grinch Night." But nothing.....absolutely NOTHING is going to beat the timelessness that is "How The Grinch Stole Christmas." :smile: The cartoon special, of course. The Jim Carey movie was okay (I liked it as a kid, but...not as much as I used to now.) The musical.....ummm....I still need to see it to judge it. Anyone seen the musical version?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
IThe musical.....ummm....I still need to see it to judge it. Anyone seen the musical version?
I saw one scene of it at the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. It was similar to the Jim Carrey version but more innocent and without the stupid humor, lol.

MissMusical12

Reaction score
I saw one scene of it at the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. It was similar to the Jim Carrey version but more innocent and without the stupid humor, lol.
There's an older version of Max narrating the story, from what I hear. And they kept in "Welcome Christmas" and "You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch" from the original 1966 special.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There's an older version of Max narrating the story, from what I hear. And they kept in "Welcome Christmas" and "You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch" from the original 1966 special.
Yeah that's the one I saw! And yes they were singing "You're a Mean One" and it was actually pretty funny because the Grinch was making little comments in between lyrics like "Your point?" Lol

MissMusical12

Reaction score
Yeah that's the one I saw! And yes they were singing "You're a Mean One" and it was actually pretty funny because the Grinch was making little comments in between lyrics like "Your point?" Lol
Well it's playing at Madison Square Garden until December 30th this year. I'll see if I can convince my dad to squeeze in this show before it closes.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well it's playing at Madison Square Garden until December 30th this year. I'll see if I can convince my dad to squeeze in this show before it closes.
Cool hope you're able to see it, send us a review if you do! :smile: