Anyone Else A Huge Fan Of Letters To Santa(Extended)?

beaker

Reaction score
I don't know if it's the look of the thing, the chemistry between Pepe and Rizzo(both MIA in the new film), or just the overall feel...but upon seeing LTS(extended) last night yet again I have to say it is now my second favorite Muppet Christmas related production directly under Muppet Family Christmas. I feel Kirk Thatcher hit it out of the park, and I just love everything about this little production with my only complaint being the 46 minute length(50 minutes if they were to have included the great deleted scenes from the stocking stuffer deleted scenes)

I mean you got:

- Rizzo and Pepe as some of the main characters with great lines

- a lot of great nuanced chemistry, subtle gags and really smart writing

- Animal kept in his PROPER place, with really good speaking/scene stealing roles for each of the
5 Electric Mayhem members.

- Great scene stealing roles for monsters like Carl, Luncheon Counter, etc

- Some of Bobo's most hilarious moments

- Penguins as more than just random filler

- a number of classic beaker and bunsen moments

- Scooter with his most prominent speaking role since forever

- A really vibrant, almost theatrical look to it(unlike past specials)

- A number of (to me) heartfelt scenes and songs(LOVE that madison actress, wish there had been more interaction between her and the muppets...also loved the closing number with all the muppets in the apartment...especially the extended version)

- Fozzie and Gonzo look PERFECT(unlike their weird fill-in puppets in the new film)

This will probably make me the resident troll pariah/odd man out, but I dare say just for the feeling it evokes and my enjoyment level, I like this now more than the new movie that just came out. As it has a lot of the things sorely absent from the 2011 film even at just 46 minutes.

I know Kirk gets criticized by some fans, but I really feel now more than ever he gets the Muppets in a way no outsider ever could. And seeing the behind the scenes of him directing the Disney Cruise Mystery Muppet thing confirms that to me.

Puckrox

Reaction score
You already know how much I love LTS. I think it's a darling piece, and I wish it were longer as well. But I love all the music and songs used, and, yeah, it's just really heartwarming and fun. Plus it's Gonzo-centric, so of course I'm all for it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I haven't seen the broadcast version as often as the extended, but I don't think it makes too big a difference to me whether it's the extended or not. And I thought it was a bit pointless to make it extended and still have a deleted scenes feature. I like that the extended version gives us more of The Electric Mayhem, but most of the other scenes (like the ones with the snails) aren't really that great. And I don't think they needed to further bring up Zoot celebrating haunnuka (his "Happy Haunnuka" line was enough, we didn't need Dr. Teeth to remark that he was unaware Zoot celebrates the holiday).

I also wonder why they needed to add the "Glad All Over" music video and bloopers to the production. Those should have just been bonus features.

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
I kind of like it but I always thought something was off. I got the extended version for Christmas but I still din't really enjoy. There were a lot of unnecessary cameos. I don't know, I just never really enjoyed as much as I usually enjoy the Muppets.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This will probably make me the resident troll pariah/odd man out, but I dare say just for the feeling it evokes and my enjoyment level, I like this now more than the new movie that just came out. As it has a lot of the things sorely absent from the 2011 film even at just 46 minutes.
Aww, it's OK you're not a troll, lol. I personally feel the opposite, that the 2011 film had things sorely absent from LTS, but we all have our own opinions. :smile: And I don't even want to pick on LTS particularly because I don't think it's terrible or anything.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I felt I was supposed to get the extended DVD for Christmas, but didn't... I strongly hinted at it though. Got the Christmas album instead...

Anyway, I think between the two of them LTS had somethings missing that TM had and TM was missing somethings missing that were present in TM. I think they're the best 2 post Henson Muppet projects.

I think LTS would have been perfect if it had a longer running time and a longer gestation for writing the project. What I really felt missing was the absence of the other characters less than halfway into the movie. It really seemed like either

• Miss Piggy and the others should have had a scene when Kermit and Gonzo went to the North Pole where they were starting to regret, or at least have some internal struggles with not accompanying Kermit to the North Pole. Or at least Miss Piggy being at the airport, and pondering over the tickets.
  • The Muppets all surprising Kermit at the North Pole when Paul Williams elf opened the door, all trying to stop Santa from going on his flight until Gonzo personally gave him the letter.
  • At the very least, there should have been more elves at the North Pole that got in Gonzo's way, causing him to miss seeing Santa.
I like what the project did with a frankly juvenile and sappy plot line. I kinda have problems with Eeyore-ish Gonzo. But the only problem I have with this project are its all too short run time and the fact that the thing almost falls dead when they get to the North Pole. Plus the "Merry Christmas, Kermie Brown," ending isn't half as good as having them all meet up in Santa's Workshop. They could have sang the same song and everything.

But other than that, a really good project. Not as hectic as VMX was.