Anyone else think that D A is a bit stuck up?

Drtooth

Reaction score
All I ever get is the random group coming in and stumbling on my stuff.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Bump... seems I'm not alone. A LOT of people have started complaining about people who do nothing but post OTHER people's work, screen caps, scan of comics... and all that stuff.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Bump... seems I'm not alone. A LOT of people have started complaining about people who do nothing but post OTHER people's work, screen caps, scan of comics... and all that stuff.
I only have an issue with art theft (posting other people's work)... other than that, I don't think there's any problem with screencaps or scans of comics, because most of the time, there's really nowhere else you can see them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I only have an issue with art theft (posting other people's work)... other than that, I don't think there's any problem with screencaps or scans of comics, because most of the time, there's really nowhere else you can see them.
Yeah, but that's what photobucket is for. The only screen cap I have in my collection is:

A) a photo manipulation

B) used in a Youtube Poop I did

and C) in my scraps.

I do NOT like people posting screencaps or scans at all. I'll give motivators/demotivators the benefit of the doubt, but at LEAST do something with those caps.

Besides, you know how to make a screen cap, right? You just go to a video or something and hit print screen. And they get MORE views than someone drawing a recreation of it. :rolleyes: THAT'S what bugs me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, yeah, you've got some points there Drtooth.

Getting back to art theft, I am honestly surprised I've managed to stay under the radar as long as I had... I think after being on dA for nearly three years, I've only been victimized by art theft on two occasions around this time last year... and I REALLY didn't understand the "editing" behind the thief's part: he/she re-outlined some of my pics (looks like in MS Paint, because it was pretty shoddy). The ugliest piece of work was when a pic I did of Simon and Jeanette wearing 2009 glasses for New Years, and the thief TRIED to edit it to make it look like they were wearing 2010 glasses.

Other than that, I've been pretty much been in the clear. I know art theft happens all the time, but the best thing anyone can do is simply report the stolen art, which usually results in the thief being banned.

Kiki

Reaction score
Yeah, but that's what photobucket is for. The only screen cap I have in my collection is:

A) a photo manipulation

B) used in a Youtube Poop I did

and C) in my scraps.

I do NOT like people posting screencaps or scans at all. I'll give motivators/demotivators the benefit of the doubt, but at LEAST do something with those caps.

Besides, you know how to make a screen cap, right? You just go to a video or something and hit print screen. And they get MORE views than someone drawing a recreation of it. :rolleyes: THAT'S what bugs me.
Argh, tell me about it, and you're right about the pageviews. =/ My friend got a feature, and although she's a good sort and I don't want to ruffle her feathers, it wasn't even her photo, and I had no idea where the original came from. I understand for an ID you might use someone else to take a photo (I'd give them credit, or mention their account if they had one), but this was just a random photo which she apparently edited by putting a chalky-ish filter over it. I would never put a screencap or someone else's work (eg; as you said, a comic, even a random pic from goggle images) on dA, it's even worse when they don't admit that it's not their work, though. .__. Can't lie, that's a pet peeve mine. I put screencaps up on my tumblr and sometimes on flickr (as well as scans from mags, comics, etc) and I /always/ put where the source where they came from. But seriously, on dA? No matter how much you alter a pic (eg; putting a photoshop filter over a pic), you're really not fooling anyone. I probably sound pretentious, but even though I'm not pro at least I put up my own work and I'm not some phony. I can understand a picture for a motivator/de-motivator, though. I "faved" a lot of them, but I actually refuse to fave something that has been taken from google images (not that it makes much differences on an art site, but at least put where you got it from) or just a screencap, you know. I know I sound a bit edgy about it all, but it's just common sense, you know?

/rant [but an appropriate one]

Okay, yeah, you've got some points there Drtooth.

Getting back to art theft, I am honestly surprised I've managed to stay under the radar as long as I had... I think after being on dA for nearly three years, I've only been victimized by art theft on two occasions around this time last year... and I REALLY didn't understand the "editing" behind the thief's part: he/she re-outlined some of my pics (looks like in MS Paint, because it was pretty shoddy). The ugliest piece of work was when a pic I did of Simon and Jeanette wearing 2009 glasses for New Years, and the thief TRIED to edit it to make it look like they were wearing 2010 glasses.

Other than that, I've been pretty much been in the clear. I know art theft happens all the time, but the best thing anyone can do is simply report the stolen art, which usually results in the thief being banned.
Mm, and rightly so, though I'm sorry to hear that, art theft is terrible. Mind you, I haven't experienced it online. Though art theft on the internet is a growing concern, so thankfully more people are on-the-ball regarding it and taking action. And obviously, outside of **~teh intarrgghhwebzz**~ and in Real Life art-theft is so much more serious. Has anyone looked at the code of ethics? I rest my case. You wouldn't get away with claiming that you 'created' screencaps, I can tell you that now. But yeah, different situation. Don't they teach this in, like, year 9 art?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I'm having a real love/hate relationship with groups. They have single-handedly moved my work into popularity I had hoped for for years. They're great exposure, and some of them are great to follow just for the great stuff they feature.

On the other hand, the fickle group admins can sometimes be a bit too cranky and strict when accepting (or rather declining) deviations, or take waaaaaaay too long to accept a piece of art. Plus, I'm a member of so many groups, that my messages are always in the thousands, alerting me to pieces I have zero desire to see. There are a few groups I adore being a part of. Vector artists and poster designs have some of the most inspiring art I can hope to see, and of course, I always look forward to the Jim Henson Connection features which post art from a lot of talented artists from right here on MC!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I haven't had too many problems with groups I belong to.

Most of them automatically approve the deviation you submit, so it appears immediately, but some (like Jim Henson Connection) do have to be approved by admins/mods first, and sometimes it can take a while. I think it took them a week or so approve my last two pics last month. :smirk:

And I too have noticed some groups are becoming a bit declining on submissions as well with rules like "Only one submission per deviant per month" and stuff like that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, I'm not bothering submitting to any other groups, I left one out of disgust... And I'm thinking of, while keeping the page up, ending any artistic endeavors of any freaking kind.

I've had it with trying to share anything I do online. I get more views putting stuff up on a refrigerator. The internet SU-U-U-U-U-UCKS!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I'm not bothering submitting to any other groups, I left one out of disgust... And I'm thinking of, while keeping the page up, ending any artistic endeavors of any freaking kind.

I've had it with trying to share anything I do online. I get more views putting stuff up on a refrigerator. The internet SU-U-U-U-U-UCKS!
Sounds like somebody's in a bit of a bad mood today... :sympathy:

Look pal, it's like I've told you before, people who watch you are mostly watching you for a specific kind of fandom you're a part of. What do you find of your art gets the most recognition? As I've said many times before, when I joined dA, I was really active in the Chipmunk fandom, and as such, that's what people were watching me for, and because that, that's the kind of art of mine that gets the most views, comments, favorites, etc. When you do something different, unless that also happens to be a fandom any of your watchers are into, it's not necessarily going to get as much attention, because it's not what they've come to expect.

That said, persistence is also a key: it took me a while, but now I'm happy to say that my Muppet art has really taken off in the past couple of months or so, I'm REALLY flabbergasted at how the likes of Santa Cookie, and Chester A. Bum moving next door to Oscar have become as popular as they are now (the latter almost being an overnight sensation with not just Muppet fans, but That Guy With The Glasses fans too). Nostalgia is also a good source of interest as well, especially is that part of nostalgia has had a big impact on pop culture, but you do have to admit, there comes a point in time when certain pop culture facets (ala "Mama Luigi") can become just so much that it becomes a bit of overkill.

Now, I have to be honest with you Drtooth, I'm surprised your having the trouble you are with dA, because have a bit of an advantage with your art: you art is diverse, in that you do art of almost everything, therefore, there's a little bit of something for everybody. I watch other artists who do similar, and they're always popular with watchers, and get a lot of attention... groups aside, I find it hard to believe that your not getting the views you desire, mainly because your art is really so fricken awesome all the time, who wouldn't be drawn to it?

Again, groups seem to do more harm than help, and I think it's beginning to show: some of the groups I belong to, I'll visit the group profile, and see a recent news item from the group founder/admin saying "Gee, this group is so dead anymore, nobody's submitting anything, does anybody out there have any art 2 submit 2 da group 4 us plz?" Another thing that hurts groups too is that I don't think half of the people who start groups really know what they're doing... some of the groups I've seen, the comments are flooded with "Why can't I join?", "It says I can't join," "Are you accepting new members right now or not?", the priviledges that the admin is given as far as allowing people to join the group and whatnot ARE rather confusing, and the settings don't make a whole lot of sense, which is why it seems like there's two kinds of groups I see: groups where you're automatically approved when you join (as is your art when you submit it, like a couple of M*A*S*H groups I belong to), and groups where nobody can join unless the admin just happens to send you an invite). Only the GOOD groups (like both Henson ones) seem to have any sort of regular maintence from the group staff: you can join, but you have to be approved by the staff first, as does your art when you submit it.