Anyone else think the internet destroyed the element of surprise?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Think about it. We pretty much know the plot and half the guests (if not all the guests) in the new Muppet movie.

What was supposed to be a huge surprise for Office Fans was just leaked today...

James Spader is going to take over as the boss.

Why did I even bother hiding that as a spoiler? Am I THAT much of an old fogey, I don't want to ruin a surprise months before a show goes back on the air?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It is amazing when you consider they were able to keep the ending of Star Trek II a secret back in 1982. Would never happen today, lol.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I think the key is how you deal with leaks.

And let's face it, some plots just write themselves. They added Jean Grey to some of the ending shots to counter speculation that she was going to die in X-2, but anyone familiar with Jean's story is gonna be able to smell the Phoenix Saga a mile away, even with clues from the first movie.

I don't suppose the internet, of course, had a lot to do with Spock's death in Star Trek 2, but there was enough of a leak to force them to create (as I read in I Am Spock) the simulation scene at the beginning. "Aren't you supposed to be dead?" -- Kirk to Spock

Cameos don't really bother me with the Muppet movie. It's not exactly like the identities are that vital to the plotline. Assuming Grodin really, truly didn't make it in (in the jail scene we see in the trailer, where he would've fit perfectly -- and sorry, I'm a total Piggy/Nicky shipper, LOL), then what seems obvious is that they just pick some other jailed character (who I don't know, sorry to say) to fill the niche.

The plot of this movie can be written with just the general concept of "bringing the Muppets back", particularly if you're attempting to "honor" the Muppets. Even if they don't sing "Just One Person", Kermit's speech in some of the trailers definitely give off that vibe, which means the ending will have not only a large cast of Muppets, but also (finally) Muppet fans to show their solidarity with the Dream.

I still avoid watching that youtube vid someone shot during filming with the ending song or whatever it was. I really don't want to know. I want to experience the joy of that moment fresh in the theaters. However, knowing that Wanda Sykes or whatever is going to be in it doesn't really affect me as much.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't suppose the internet, of course, had a lot to do with Spock's death in Star Trek 2, but there was enough of a leak to force them to create (as I read in I Am Spock) the simulation scene at the beginning. "Aren't you supposed to be dead?" -- Kirk to Spock
Right, the story (at least according to Shatner's book) is supposedly that they planned to have Spock die. But that someone (possibly Gene Roddenberry) learned about this and purposely leaked it to the hardcore fans, who protested the idea (though I doubt your average fan was aware of this). In response, the creators rewrote the script with the simulation scene at the beginning as a sort of fake out ("Oh I see, he doesn't really die!"). This was what they apparently managed to keep hidden. Apparently even one of the producers was shocked by it, lol.

Cameos don't really bother me with the Muppet movie. It's not exactly like the identities are that vital to the plotline.
Besides I think the average fan who isn't doing major research on the film will still be surprised, lol.
I still avoid watching that youtube vid someone shot during filming with the ending song or whatever it was. I really don't want to know. I want to experience the joy of that moment fresh in the theaters.
Yeah I checked out all the spoilers for Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and ended up really regretting it. There were much less surprises in the theater. So for Return of the King I literally cut myself off from spoilers for months. Every time something came up online or on TV, I'd just walk away, lol. It turned out great; everything about the film was new and fresh when I first saw it in the theaters. :smile:

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Think about it. We pretty much know the plot and half the guests (if not all the guests) in the new Muppet movie.

What was supposed to be a huge surprise for Office Fans was just leaked today...

James Spader is going to take over as the boss.

Why did I even bother hiding that as a spoiler? Am I THAT much of an old fogey, I don't want to ruin a surprise months before a show goes back on the air?
I've pretty much cut down my time spent on MC because of all the discussion about the new Muppet movie (especially the threads directly about the movie). I just don''t want to know until I see the movie. I don't think you can blame the internet so much as people posting about it. If the thread is about the movie then feel free to post about guests, plots, songs, etc. but if the thread is unrelated to the movie then the person posting should have the common courtesy to do exactly what you did and hide the information as spoilers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've pretty much cut down my time spent on MC because of all the discussion about the new Muppet movie (especially the threads directly about the movie). I just don''t want to know until I see the movie. I don't think you can blame the internet so much as people posting about it. If the thread is about the movie then feel free to post about guests, plots, songs, etc. but if the thread is unrelated to the movie then the person posting should have the common courtesy to do exactly what you did and hide the information as spoilers.
It's the "you can't resist" factor. I can ignore all the news and trailers and interviews all I want, but I'll always be deathly curious when anything pops up.

Anyway, I'm a bit more annoyed (and I bet show creators are too) that the big suspenseful surprise of who's going to replace Michael Scott on the Office was just casually plopped out. And I found it, of all places, on a Comic Book news site (looking for previews of.. I dunno... maybe comics?)...

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
It is amazing when you consider they were able to keep the ending of Star Trek II a secret back in 1982. Would never happen today, lol.
imagine keep the whole vader/luke thing from being a spoiler these days

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
imagine keep the whole vader/luke thing from being a spoiler these days
(SPOILER JUST IN CASE...)................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Homer Simpson (coming out of the theater): Wow, who would have thought Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's father!

LOL

Yorick

Reaction score
LOL That Homer...what will he spoil next? :smile: That was nice of you to at least give a "just in case" spoiler alert before Homer's outburst. :smile: