Anyone here just not a big JH Director fan but love JH other work?

Movies205

Reaction score
Jim Henson was a creative genus but I think he lack in director skills. No offense to him but I think some of his movies his shots are sloppy and disorganized in my opinion. I was just wondering if anyone else shared my opinion? Don't get me wrong all I'm critizing here is his directing talent....

hides in the corner in fear of being flamed to death

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
no flames only muffins

I disagree, though, I didn't see much 'sloppiness' untraditional? yes! differant? yes! sloppy? NO

of course, that's just me!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think Jim Henson was a very good director. The Dark Crystal and Great Muppet Caper are both spectacular films.

However, there's one exception. He didn't understand why Labyrinth didn't work. There's an easy answer for it - no real sense of jeopardy. We never really care about Toby. Sure, he's a baby and we're supposed to like babies, but the audience has no emotional attachment to him. The goblins didn't seem sinister enough either. The end battle was a "silly battle" and didn't advance the story. It wasn't the pay-off the audience needed. It only served as comic relief at a point where there needed to be drama.

I feel Jim Henson was too concerned about frightening younger viewers and upsetting their parents. There are moments in the Neverending Story that are chilling. He should have inserted some scenes like that into the plot. Don't get me wrong. I love the film. It just didn't have the necessary punch to make it a box office hit.

That is the only example of Jim's unsuccessful directing as far as I see it. Let's not forget that he directed Timepiece - a short film nominated for an Oscar. He also directed Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas, episodes of Fraggle Rock, Frog Prince, episodes of the Storyteller and much more that I am forgetting. I admire his directorial skills. :smile:

MustangRockstar

Reaction score
He was very straightforward with his style. Fact was that he didnt want to take the focus away from the characters. But if you look, his style serves its purpose. Sometimes directors get so caught up in being cutesy that it's like "can i just watch the dang movie".

I think Jim Henson knew what he was doing but his characters were so endearing that no one really paid attention to his own ability.

Perhaps the greatest question you can ask is, did you ever not believe in the world? If you always believe in the world, than he did a pretty good job.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I love all of Jim's Work, he did an excellent job at everything. He left the world a much better place than it was without the muppets.
:smile: