Anyone into 90s toons and classic 40s cartoons?

Hayley B

Reaction score
I liked early 90's and pretty much grew up on 40's cartoons during the weekdays. Like Looney Tunes, Popeye, & Casper. Also non related to my youth. I came to like ones with Betty Boop. Especially the ones with her little dog Pudgy. He is so cute.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I'm a far greater fan of Mad than I ever was of MadTV. MadTV started out Mad magazine like, but devolved quickly into In Living Color knockoff... not that I disliked it, but there were less and less TV show parodies and more and more character pieces. The last few seasons were completely unwatchable though. The Beans and Rice Tour where they just annoyed people on the street? That was supposed to be funny?

My only gripe is about the Mad cartoon being geared towards slightly younger audiences, and some of the references I barely get... but I do like the show quite a bit. I find it superior to Robot Chicken. I can't tell you how many brilliant sketches I thought were ruined by tired jokes about drugs and sex. There was some really mean spirited one about He-Man and King Randor that was just poorly done. Though I do like a good number of their sketches (especially Captain Planet, Behind the Music with the Electric Mayhem, and Inspector Gadget and Skynet), some just fall flat... some seem poorly researched too. The Fraggle Rock one could have gone better if someone watched an episode... the Uncle Matt Postcard was there, though... everything else just wasn't.

Plus, you HAVE to like this one...

Somehow, they managed to hit the fact that TMZ is an evil organization bent on vilifying everyone in Hollywood but them.

Plus I can't find the Cobra Commander Talk show one.

Trust me... you can't tell from a clip of Regular Show. I was all set to dismiss it until I saw an episode. On the one hand, it's got a slacker comedy angle, but then something completely weird happens in every episode that makes the show just... weird and wonderful. I never thought I'd like it, and now I'm a huge fan.
Thanks for sharing that Mad show clip. I finally got a chance to watching after my internet wi-fi connection has been acting up. lol Your right, that satire is pretty good. Nicely done taking a shot on how they make bad puns and trying to look all cool and stuff. lol Also like to mentioned, they aimed this show at younger viewers and I think that was the producer's attempt because I remember seeing a video of him talking about his two new shows Mad and The Looney Tunes Show before it came out. But yeah, I'd love to see a TV-14 or TV-MA Mad Magazine show complete with caratures and razor sharp satire like in the show. I remember seeing a satire on SuperNews about TMZ, I can't remember it 100% but I remember they took a shot at the head guy and making him some sort of God. lol

As for Robot Chicken, I love the program. I didn't see much of seasons 4 or 5 yet, I still need the DVDs but I did see I think all the current Muppet parodies they did. I really liked them. VH1 Electric Mayhem is really good. In fact, I got to video on my ipod. I quote some lines from that to myself a lot. lol Lines that Dr. Teeth had a sort lived relationship with Jousie and The Pussycats. lol I was cracking up like crazy because I believe that's something that Dr. Teeth would actually utter if the cameras were off. lol I also seen their Dark Crystal rap, was totally amazed that they lampooned The Jim Henson Company. The ending of that sketch could be seen as a bit crude but I'm a sucker for gun suicide gags in cartoons. lol Them and South Park are the only ones who can get away with it in animation forum since the uncut Looney Tunes days of course. lol

But yeah, I totally know what you mean about the Fraggle Rock parody they did. Who ever did Boober's voice was super close to Dave Golez. lol Mokey sounded close too. The other's didn't though. But yeah, I think what Robot Chicken was lampooning was how Fraggle Rock was very strong in terms of social harmony and stuff like that. One of the gags near the end where they had Gobo saying "Welcome to our new home gang, now it's time to start repopulating." I starting to think, OH YEAH Red and Mokey are female. lol But yeah, they could have had some gags that related to the show more then just a cheap shot. Though the first scene with Doc calling the exterminator, it kind of makes me think. It sort of makes sense to the logical situation where Sprocket is always barking at that mysterious hole in the wall. But of course the show would never do such a thing lol Because the show was about characters who were different slowly realizing that they aren't so different and can relate together in certain ways, I think. I should watch more Fraggle Rock. I have seasons 1 - 3, I still need the final season on DVD but I've been so broke lately. lol

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Anyone remember Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs and Pinky and The Brain? I'm slowly getting back into these shows now. I remember watching them as a kid but wasn't a huge fan but now watching clips online, I suddenly get all the jokes, gags and references and all that. So it seems to be a lot more entertaining to me now.

I've even found this clip online where the Animations are detectives and they are looking for clues and one of them the tall one (Wacko?) tells Dot (is that her name?) to look for Finger Prints. Then she finds The Artist Formally Known As Prince and he says "No, Finger Prints, Finger Prints" She looks at Prince and he winks at her and she looks at the camera "I don't think so." Then she throws him out the window. I was laughing like crazy. I am so amazed how little induendos and edgy adult jokes get snuck into cartoons in the 90s. lol

I know there was a bunch of edgy jokes on Rocko's Modern Life, and of course as a kid it totally went over my head. But now. HA HA HA! I can't believe it. lol

And even some things in The Muppet Show there were a few risky jokes here and there. Like in the Carol Burnett episode Miss Piggy is dancing with Kermit saying how she wanted him to visit her in her dressing room and she'll throw him on the couch and loosen his collar. LOL

That's what I love about adult puppetry and animation, there's jokes that will surprise you sometimes. lol

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Regular Show is one of my favorite shows! It make so many 80's references! :smile:

bandit

Reaction score
Dexter's Lab, Hey Arnold, Wild Thornberrys, Courage the Cowardly Dog....and then there were Tiny Toons, Animaniacs and Freakazoid! God I loved Freakazoid.
It's funny but the Batman series was one of the best animated superhero shows there is. You can't beat Harley Quinn or Mark Hamill as the Joker. The guy's a genius!
Actually, a lot of the shows you guys mentioned are so good. Admittedly, though, I do watch some of the new ones too. I love the Regular Show and the same goes for Adventure Time. They are a little out there but then, so was Ren and Stimpy in its day.
Tex Avery Cartoons were terrific!

meepmuppaphones

Reaction score
What made the 90s cartoons so different from today's monstrosities? It's sorta hard to pinpoint... I mean, the WB cartoons by the Tom Ruegger crew had so many pop-culture references and innuendos, but nowadays, they just... I don't know...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You want a 90s-esque cartoon, try Dan Vs.

Of course, I'm in the minority when I say childrens shows aren't the monstrosities everyone makes them out to be *shrugs*

Drtooth

Reaction score
Of course, I'm in the minority when I say childrens shows aren't the monstrosities everyone makes them out to be *shrugs*
I said it before, I HATE anyone who's so freaking overprotective of one freaking decade of cartoons because every schmuck that considers themselves a cartoon fan claims that their decade was the decade they nailed it and nothing ever should be made ever in the history of ever because they nailed it in one specific decade.

This infuriates your friendly neighborhood animation enthusiast/failed animator who has an exceedingly open mind and has seen stuff that most people would never bother watching in a million years. Zagreb Studios and Jan Švankmajerstuff. I saw a really cool Russian Little Red Riding Hood cartoon that I can't remember the name of and I've gone mad trying to find online. I could be a real snob and say everything commercial is garbage, and those artistic indie animations are the only thing worth watching... but I don't. I LOVE most things equally. I could make a long list of cartoons I find rubbish, but I won't. Heck, I even like the much maligned Gene Deitch Tom and Jerry cartoons. The later ones are actually pretty good.

Here's the thing. Let's say they brought back all your favorite shows in new episodes. You'd hate them. The new episodes wouldn't be as good as the classics, everything would feel like a retread, they would try too hard to recapture something that can't be recaptured... but heaven forbid we have anything new with new characters because they're not your old favorites. It's a no win situation. And here's another thing you might like to know. All your childhood favorites? The guys that make the "horrible, abominable, terrible" shows that you all refuse to watch? They watched that stuff too. That stuff LITERALLY inspired them to be animators and cartoonists. You're condemning your peers that like the same things you like for not being Invader Zim, Animaniacs, and Batman TAS.

You have to admit... 90's cartoon watchers are SPOILED. They never had to live through the ghastly 1970's and the getting better 1980's where executives ran the shows and refused creativity of any kind. Now EVERY cartoon has a created by credit. UNHEARD of until the 1990's. Spongebob merchandise has "created by Steven Hillerburg" stamped on it. It was a revolution, and now we're in the pop art stage where the walls are already broken down and nothing is as exciting as it was because it doesn't need to be. I cannot see ANY of the shows today existing if it wasn't for those brave souls in the 1990's. Seriously... I LOVE 1980's cartoons, but those were some scary times if you read about them.