Anyone like "Return to Oz"?

Johnboy

Reaction score
It's a dark very underrated sequel to the classic cinematic masterpiece, it's got Fairuza Balk in her debut as Dorothy who was going to shock therapy because her auntie Em and Uncle Henry thinks she is crazy talking about Oz but she escapes from the hospital to end up back in Oz again, she finds it in ruins with her friends being turned to stone under the rule of the evil nome king as she joins up with new friends to save Oz.

It's got Brian Henson as Jack Pumpkinhead whom was also doing Jim Henson's Labyrinth the same year Oz was being filmed and also produced by Gary Kurtz the producer of "Dark Crystal", i highly recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys fantasy, Harry Potter, and Dark Crystal & Labyrinth.

velvetviolet

Reaction score
I love Return To Oz! What a beautiful film. It seems to slightly disturb people I introduce it to - perhaps because they were expecting a fluffy children's film, or something more akin to the Judy Garland version. It's amazing how greatly a movie will affect you when it's not what you're expecting.

My favorite memory of watching Return To Oz is when I once saw it at my aunt and uncle's house at a family get-together, in a room where they were hoping to keep the kids amused. When it was over, I wandered the house, which is full of beautiful antique furniture and numerous emerald-green pieces (such as a velvet ottoman), which brought me right back to the scene where our heroes are trying to return their friends to their original forms. It's a wonderful feeling to emerge from a fantasy back into your own environment, and to find little hints of the delicious world you so reluctantly left.

superfan

Reaction score
Return to Oz is one of my favorites! It's so dark and a little unnerving...especially the hospital scenes in the beginning, but still so cool!
Thanks for reminding me of it! I'll have to rent it again some night.
Nothing like a talking chicken for comic relief!

practicecactus

Reaction score
Aw, man, I haven't seen that movie since I was a kid.
It's so unecesisairly dark and weird, which is great.
Yeah, I'll have to rent it too.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I think I've seen this but not for ages. I think its on sale at the moment so I must get it.

jrhzoot

Reaction score
This is one of my top 10 favorite movies. I used to love this as a kid and I also saw a play on it. I probably was most intrigued by Mombi's heads when I was a kid.

Whatever

Reaction score
It's a mish-mash of Baum's sequels. I don't really like it.