Anyone Performing in Professional Puppet Shows?

crazy chris

Reaction score
aaron... small world... i was into cartooning as well!

and sadly...it truly is hard to find any way to pay the bills with it....everyone always seems so impressed with it...but no one wants to pay you to do it... and the guys that ARE making money at it...usually arent even that good... i guess like most things its being in the right place at the right time...and who you know

ive always just needed some sort of creative outlet to maintain my sanity... its like it builds up inside and actually physically hurts until you can release it in some shape or form

cc

Puppetainer

Reaction score
And maybe that cartooning thing isn't so unusual among us puppet people after all. I got my degree in art back in 86 and tried both comic books and a comic strip! Didn't stick with either for very long as I was trying to raise and support a family. Now that the kids are all up and grown though I can pursue those crazy youthful passions!

And Aaron Florida is home to the puppet theater that my wife and I wanted to model our dream theater after. Pinocchio's Marionette Theater in the Altamonte Mall, formerly in Winter Park. It's a pretty cool set up. I think the way they built the business around hosting parties, and birthday parties in particular is brilliant! My wife was willing to follow me down the yellow brick road of puppetry but not if it involved being part of a traveling show. So we want to do a standing puppet theater that houses a group of dedicated performers. That will have to wait until a time we can actually gather the capital to make it happen though.

And Chris I completely relate to the need for a creative outlet. I was first a theater major and eventually an art major in college. I've written a fantasy novel, helped create a small board game company that produced one game and dabbled briefly in the art advertising world. So you can see I've bounced around a variety of forms of creative expression, and I'll bet most of you folks have too! Any of the times that I wasn't somehow involved in these or other creative ventures I was not a very happy camper.

So now I'm going after puppetry with everything I've got! Having been in retail management for over 25 years I'm used to getting by on a fairly low income so it shouldn't be much of an adjustment. As good old Walt Disney used to say, just keep moving forward!:big_grin:

crazy chris

Reaction score
GODSPEED WITH YOUR DREAMS PUPPETAINER!

it is so refreshing to speak with people who've shared the same experiences i have... i grew up in such a small town that i felt really alone with my passions... sometimes i would question whether maybe something wasnt right in my brain...lol...

if only id had the internet... i might have had the courage to pursue them to the fullest much earlier in life....

i chose dj'ing because it allowed me to entertain... and i did it almost 20 years....but it never quite met my needs as far as true creativity...

i keep going back to the idea cookie presented...about us all joining forces... imagine the powerhouse we could all be... im talking PIXAR proportions hahahahahaha

we could do for puppetry what pixar did for animation... make it good again!

one can dream.....one...can....dream

cc

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Well Chris not to wear out the Walt quotes but...

"If you can dream it you can do it."

What can I say? I'm a former Disney Cast Member. But yeah, I don't rule anything out. That's one of the beauties of this web connection we all share is we never know where this networking will take us, but we'll all be better for the journey!

CoOKiE

Reaction score
I started to do my own thing like 5 years back or so. Didnt get to film till 2 years later. I was doing all of it on my own. I was working, paying bills, then buying equipment with little extra cash. It wasn't a money making project of mine, so i couldn't really dive a whole month's pay into the project.

I ended up having some techy issues with my equipment and never finished the 2nd episode. The first episode is on youtube. I haven't promoted myself yet on the boards because it was just a promo to the series. When i reboot the whole thing, i'll def post on these boards. Right now i'm in the middle of rebuilding my first puppet. When hes done, i'll be refilming the 2nd episode. I have a newer cast member who has since taken on a character that another performer has decided to drop... So, i want him to voice this time. But once i get rolling with the reboot shoot.. i'm hoping to get episodes up at least once a month.

Really tho. If we all were closer it would be great. Like the Avengers. All solo performers teaming up to create the world's best... well, i can dream too lol

Animal31

Reaction score
I started to do my own thing like 5 years back or so. Didnt get to film till 2 years later. I was doing all of it on my own. I was working, paying bills, then buying equipment with little extra cash. It wasn't a money making project of mine, so i couldn't really dive a whole month's pay into the project.

I ended up having some techy issues with my equipment and never finished the 2nd episode. The first episode is on youtube. I haven't promoted myself yet on the boards because it was just a promo to the series. When i reboot the whole thing, i'll def post on these boards. Right now i'm in the middle of rebuilding my first puppet. When hes done, i'll be refilming the 2nd episode. I have a newer cast member who has since taken on a character that another performer has decided to drop... So, i want him to voice this time. But once i get rolling with the reboot shoot.. i'm hoping to get episodes up at least once a month.

Really tho. If we all were closer it would be great. Like the Avengers. All solo performers teaming up to create the world's best... well, i can dream too lol
That's awesome Cookie, let me know when I can check it out!

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Cookie I understand the long road. I've been working on my stuff on and off for a good 4 or 5 years now. Even working more steadily since I lost my "day job" in April I've only got 3 puppets to show for my efforts. Ah if only there was a way to summon some help....WAIT!
Puppeteers Assemble!
:big_grin:

crazy chris

Reaction score
lookin forward to checkin it out cookie!

lol @ puppeteers assemble....

i just hope we dont have to wear spandex

cc

CoOKiE

Reaction score
::enters the room wearing spandex::

I was TOTALLY waiting for this-

You guys aren't wearing spandex?

:embarrassed:

::walks out of the room::