Anyone thinks Henson is a Wizard of Oz fan?

Johnboy

Reaction score
Afterall that is probably his favorite movie of all time and inspired him, i was wondering if Wizard of Oz was an influence over his two non-muppet fantasy flicks " Dark Crystal" and "Labyrinth"?

Afterall, Dark Crystal and Labyrinth did had the same theme about traveling to a castle to stop a bad guy, meeting new friends and battling some enemies that are as bad as the flying monkeys but in Dark Crystal i bet the Garthiam are influenced by the Flying Monkeys while The Skeckis in Dark Crystal and Jereth in Labyrinth are similar to The Wicked Witch, i guess Sarah and Jen are both the closeset thing to Dorothy Gale in terms of being the true hero or heroine of a story.

Afterall Gary Kurt ( Dark Crystal producer) and Brian Henson did the sequel to the Wizard of Oz in 1985.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Also interesting to note- did you happen to notice the books that Sarah has in her room in "Labyrinth"?

Yes! One of them is "The Wizard of Oz" by Frank L. Baum!!! :smile:

Johnboy

Reaction score
Even Fizgig in the flick is a little kind of like Toto! but anyone thinks that ball of cuteness looks a alien hybrid of a Pomerian and a Critter from the Critter flicks the same kind of round ball creature with two sets of teeth and wide mouth?

edible eye

Reaction score
In a few different biographies about Henson, they mention that The Wizard of Oz was the first film he saw as a baby. And that the MGM lion scared him. :smile:

lowercasegods

Reaction score
In an interview around the time of labyrinth's release, Jim had said that The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland were both direct influences in the creation of Labyrinth.