Arm Rods

SesameKermie

Reaction score
I've seen many different methods to create arm rods for puppets, but I haven't seen anyone adress the problem I've been having.

When I try to make permanent (non-removable) arm rods, the wire won't stay in place and ends up slipping out of the wrist. I've tried sewing around it to anchor the wire, but so far I havent found a method that works. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

SesameKermie

Reaction score
I have seen that. I forgot to wrap it. Maybe that was the problem. That's what I get for trying to skip steps.

Phantom

Reaction score
That would probably make a difference. Let us know how it works out.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Wrapping the wire definitely helped. The rod still moves inside the hand, but it works now. Thanks again!

Jason

edit: typos

Ruben

Reaction score
I've never done permanate rods but I came up with a methode that is sort of both permanate and removable at the same time. Before I start building my hands I make the rod which is made of 1/8in rod with a handle, which can be any way you like, on the end that goes into the hand I take the right size thread die (I think it is 6/32 but I don't have it with me to check) and thread the end about 1/2in down the rod. After I have made the rod i make the part that goes into the hand. This part consist of nuts that fit the threads that are on the rods and a frame to glue it to. The frame or main structure that is in the hand can be wood or if you are good at metal work you can make a frame and tap the threads into the frame. I will explain the wood because it is easier. I take 1/4in thick stock and cut triangles with 1 1/2in sides and chop the corners off so that it looks like the superman emblem. On one of the corners cut a grove big enough so that the nut will fit into it horizontally. After epoxy the nut into the grove and cover it with epoxy incasing the whole nut. After the epoxy is dry drill the hole back out and drill deeper into the wood make sure the drill bit is just the right size for the nut. incasing the nut keeps it from snaping it off. don't woory about the threads being gumed up with epoxy this will help with keeping the rod from moving, just make sure that you thread the rod into the nut a couple of times before fixing the frame in the hand to to losen it up a bit. Now the rod is finished you can make the hand. The frame is glued into the palm of the hand by taking to peices of 1/2in foam and sandwiching it in between them. Have the nut close to the edge so that you can see it. Build the rest of the hand and and when you cover it make a little hole in the seem so you can thread in the rod and take itout when ever you what:wink: . I don't know if this helped with your rod question but I thought that Iwould post it so others can use the idea.

Have fun useing this idea it works for me:smile: