Arrrgh! What does "IP" mean?

Wembley

Reaction score
Also too, it would be possible to block people out based on an entire range of IP addresses... For example, my DSL provider (verizon) owns a set of IP addresses for use in my area (something like man.nh.verizon.net or whatever, I can't really remember right now), and every time I turn on my computer (well, actually, every time I reboot my router) I get a new address (something like 64.00.00.00.man-nh.verizon.net) and it would be possible to block out everyone in man-nh.verizon.net, myself included. Of course, that would be a drastic move though...

-Rick Miller
..."As a matter of fact, I AM a rocket scientist!"

AndyL

Reaction score
On of the IP log's most important features is the ability to quickly tell the difference between a sudden influx of newbies or a single person just trying to frustrate people.

I help moderate a forum for a fansite about a particular computer game and I know that whenever I see a post that strikes me as unusual I hit phpbb's IP-Log button, and if I see the guy's got six different accounts, we don't have to try to figure out what's going on, we just nip the problem in the bud. Saves a lot of bother.

I've seen one forum that called it's IP logging feature the "Stealth Mode Idiot Catcher" which I think sums it up nicely.