1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Oct 15, 2009.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Yeah, girls are supposed to have soft, high voices, while boys have hard, deep voices, lol.

Other than D.W. and Sue Ellen, I don't think there's any other female character on the show who went through a cast change, is there? Again, all the others are played by adults I believe.
  2. D'Snowth

I take that back, D.W.'s imaginary friend, Nadine sounds a little different in more recent seasons as well.

BTW, does anyone know what the heck kind of animal Nadine's supposed to be anyway? I'm assuming she's a squirrel with her bushy tail.
  3. APRena

APRena New Member

Chipmunk? Beaver? I learned recently that Francine and Muffy are supposed to be monkeys, which was pretty weird to me. What's Brain? Another monkey or a bear or something?

I liked Nadine. Has she been in recent episodes, or are they trying to make DW grow up?
  4. D'Snowth

Yeah, Brain's a bear; I remember years ago on the PBS Kids website there was a questionnaire that you could send to Arthur, and one of the questions was "What kind of animal are you?" and the pretyped response mentioned Brain is a bear (along with him being an aardvark, Buster being a rabbit, Francine and Muffy being monkeys).
    Two of the more recent (not TOO recent, mind you) episodes I remember seeing Nadine was D.W. has a dream sequence where she sees what life would be like if she were the older sister and Arthur were her younger brother; then later when D.W. learns a swear word (one of the most hilarious episodes ever written) and asks Nadine among all people her age what it means.

There's a lot of "refered to, but unseen" occasions involving her lately, including this past week's new episode guest starring Philip Seymour Hoffman.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Actually, there was an episode that kinda hinted at that. I only saw it once, and I can't remember the specifics... but it hints at D.W. letting go of Nadine, and Kate promising to have her as her imaginary friend.

It does seem like the only real aging or maturing the characters are going through.
  6. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

Nadine was in the episode last night if I'm remembering correctly.
  7. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

It seems like every year, they only make a week of new Arthur episodes.

And those kids always seem to be in Mr. Ratburn's class forever. There was even an episode where they had a last day in his class. But when new episodes were made, they were still in the same class like they were more episodes that happened during the school year.

I also found it interesting that little boys ended up voicing D.W. Usually girls voice little boys in cartoons.
  8. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

A child's worst nightmare. Staying in a tough teacher's class forever. (I once had a teacher who was teaching us in fourth grade, then she was moved to teaching fifth grade the next year. Maybe that's what happened.)
  9. Drtooth

Oop... I didn't phrase my words correctly...

what I meant to say is that they hinted that D.W. is starting to grow out of Nadine, and it seems she will eventually. She didn't let go of her yet...

The episode is titled Baby Kate and the Imaginary Mystery... It's basically about how Nadine is "missing" and Pal and Kate try to find her... the realization is that D.W. needs her less and less.

I think some of the characters are indeed changing and maturing... look at this yet to be aired episode synopsys...

10. APRena

APRena New Member

Hah, that happened to me in reverse. I had the best 1st/2nd grade teacher in the world. The substitute we always had was the horrible one, though. (Also the plot of an Arthur episode, only the sub was a preschool teacher and they WANTED Mr. Ratburn back to be more challenged? Another thing that seems unlikely for 3rd graders. :rolleyes:)
  11. D'Snowth

As I understand it, the producers/directors feel that the performances of little boys make D.W.'s obnoxiousness more genuine... well, they could get my little niece to voice her. :o
  12. Drtooth

13. D'Snowth

Loz, instant fave!

Actually, that was one of my favorite bits where Binky kept going on and on about how "I said banana! Banana was MY idea! Without ME, there IS no banana!"
  14. D'Snowth

Well, I watched the "The Great MacGrady" episode today (there's a special airing all week long this week), and here's my review of it...

First of all, it was a VERY well-written story, and it turned out a lot better than I expected... but still, just the premise of giving a character on this show (even a minor character) still seemed rather desperate, and I felt voiced that they're short on story ideas.

First off, they didn't specify whether or not Mrs. MacGrady will survive, but all signs point to it, especially since Mr. Ratburn mentions to his class that the doctors detected the cancer early enough, and are treating the best way they can, in addition to MacGrady being on medication.

All the kids react differently to the news of MacGrady having cancer - Arthur and D.W. drop by her house every day bringing her assorted food (like soup and fresh fruit) and stuffed animals to the point that her house looks like a plush zoo; Buster and Binky bring her various items as well to show their support. Francine, on the other hand, is very sensitive about the subject, since her grandfather died from cancer (I wonder if he's the same grandfather who owned that hamburger restaurant in an earlier episode), and although she wants to visit Mrs. MacGrady, and show support as well, she just can't bring herself to do so, and feels guilty about it.

Binky gets Lance Armstrong's e-mail address, and gives it to Francine, figuring since he had cancer before and survived (I'm glad they didn't mention on this show that one of the cancers he had was testicular), that he would be a good person for Francine to talk to about the matter; a nervous Francine then sends out her e-mail, and a gracious Lance Armstrong comes to Elwood City the following week, and invites Francine on a friendly bikeride through town, so they can talk in person about the matter. Francine asks how he managed to survive, and he told her that the right medicine, and the surgeries he went through helped, but for him, the biggest help was the love and support of friends and family - he then suggests that Elwood City have a bike marathon, for which the proceeds would go to further help fight cancer, and find a cure. Mrs. MacGrady shows up at the bike-a-thon, and is truly touched by it, and shows no hard feelings when Francine tries to apologize for not visiting.

In the end, even though she is still on the road to recovery, she returns to school and returns to cooking lunch for the kids... something that her nephew was completely inept at.

I have to say though, I absolutely HATED Muffy in this episode... I swear, they just keep making her more and more snotty and obnoxious! She shows no concern for Mrs. MacGrady's well being, and even when Francine is obviously upset about it, she tells her to "Ah, quit being so negative!" Even when Muffy DOES offer to help Mrs. MacGrady by offering to clean her house while her sister takes her to the doctor, she ends up making Arthur and D.W. do it for her when they later drop by.

Interesting tidbit though - it's revealed that Mrs. MacGrady's first name is Leah... then when the episode is finished, a crazy credit reveals that this episode was dedicated to the memory of a show staffer, whose name was also Leah, so I'm assuming they made MacGrady's first name Leah in her honor.

Again, this episode played out a lot better than I expected, but I still think the idea shows they're running out of ideas.
  15. APRena

APRena New Member

Just finished watching the MacGrady episode. All in all I agree with D'Snowth, but one bit I found unrealistic: WHO in their right mind would let a couple 3rd graders and a 4 year old stay in their house unsupervised? Another thing, all the charity offered by the entire community is kind of too much. I realize it's meant to make a point, how they pull together to help, but it gets borderline awkward. (Muffy and Arthur cleaning...) Maybe the awkwardness was on purpose though, reflecting how no one knew how to react to it...

Bringing Lance Armstrong (didn't he have a parody name in a previous ep.? Vance Legstrong? Points off for continuity.) into the story was pretty unrealistic. Mentioning him would have been fine, but having him show up? I don't know. It was a nice show, touching on a serious real subject that kids might have to go through.
  16. Drtooth

You hit the nail on the head with the last sentence... Way I see it Arthur (and especially D.W.) just didn't know how to handle someone who's in that condition, and they try to cheer her up excessively (they even touch upon that, as D.W.'s gifts pile up and MacGrady hasn't even finished the first batch of chicken soup when Arthur brings more). Muffy trying to help later (after Francine gets upset with her) is only natural... though, as Snowth said, she really did a lousy job. But HEY, she barely cleans up after herself. She was selfish to begin with, sure, but not nearly as Montana Max would have been (not only would he not shop for his father, he'd probably sell MacGrady a bad insurance plan)... but enough hypothetical crossovers. (plus, if you ask me, Buster was MUCH more selfish, only worrying what's for lunch)

Get this... Alex Trabek actually played a parody version of himself, and he was referred to his correct name in another episode. I guess they couldn't get Lance Armstrong... or more likely, they didn't try... he DID appear in another episode as himself... that's what the previous meeting referred to. By my summation, there's the actual Lance Armstrong and someone with a coincidental sounding name whp just so happens to ALSo be a famous biker.

That said, anyone else glad they DIDN'T spend the entire episode, or even a scene in the hospital? It really showed that a person can live and deal with it, and it isn't an instant hospitalization for life bit.
  17. D'Snowth

Yeah, I actually forgot to mention the Lance Armstrong thing was a bit unrealistic as well... I mean, would a big, once-struck-with-cancer celebrity actually pay a visit to some random donkey kid with a friend with cancer? I mean, I know people like that might visit kids in the hospital LOCALLY, but still...

As for the kids being in Mrs. MacGrady's house unsupervised... for some reason, Elwood City seems to have a Mayberry vibe to it y'know? Everybody knows everybody and nothing bad ever remotely happens?
  18. Drtooth

Happens on the Simpsons all the time. :D And even, to some extent, Doug (with fake celebrities they made up)...
  19. D'Snowth

Or like that episode we did of T*K*O where Kathy Greenwood was invited to D'Snowth's getting fired party, but she said she was too busy with her career to attend the party of some random fan of hers... then in the end, after D'Snowth was long gone, and the party was over... HERE SHE IS!
  20. D'Snowth

I noticed a goof after re-watching "The Great MacGrady"...

According to the calendar in the episode, June 2 is on a Saturday... and all the kids are in school that day... what would they being doing in school on a Saturday? What would they be doing in school in JUNE?