Article about Elmo and Ricky Gervais

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You can't live with 'em / you can't live without 'em / there's something irresistable-ish about 'em...

Oh wait, wrong song.

Katzi428

Reaction score
I read the responses & watched the clip.Some of the moms were a bit paranoid.But others said their kids laughed. I guess it's all how high strung the kids are.(I myself am thinking of sending it to my sister in law to show my 2 1/2 year old niece.But I'll see. I thought it was funny! But then again,I'm not a little kid.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm really really sick of these kinds of parents. They are the bane of my existence as well as the existence of any creative type in any field. Seriously... it's this minus minded thinking that everything has to be sanitized to oblivion that leads to Super Shy (Which had an episode called "Hansel and Grettle, a Healthy Adventure" where they convince the witch to turn her gingerbread house into one made out of healthy snacks... I'm not kidding... look it up! :sympathy: )

This part bothers me...

According to the people counters at the Public Broadcasting System, viewers didn't share our reaction. "As of today, Viewer Services didn't receive any comments of note from parents regarding that episode," PBS spokesperson Jake Landis tells ParentDish.

How that can be is beyond us. Kids need images of trustworthy grown-ups, especially as they're relaxing at bedtime. If this skit were made for adults, then maybe we'd find it funny. But as entertainment for children, it's just kind of weird.
So No one else complained that their kids are going to have nightmares about comedians being funny? It was all in her read far too into something to protect children that are NOT her own head? Really, I could say nasty little things here... these kinds of parents need to focus on their own bloody kids... and something tells me this woman either doesn't have any or has full grown ones past SS's age and just randomly watches kid's shows to say "This is wrong? Why can't everything be as bland, in-offensive and self gratifying and diabetes inducing as Dora the Explorer or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse?"

Sesame Street is and ALWAYS has been a comedy show. Look at any skit from the first 2 seasons... she probably would have laid an ostrich egg! I'm sick of these parents sheltering their kids, blaming everything on everyone but themselves, and then whining that their kids are self absorbed sheltered obese slackers when they're older. Kids need a trustworthy adult influence... feh! You're your OWN kids' trustworthy influence, and by that post, I couldn't trust her to take care of a goldfish. She'd probably kill the thing by changing the water every 3 seconds. How the heck is a comedian being funny going to teach kids to be bitter angry loners that can't trust anyone? I've learned more bad messages from reality, myself.

Really... these parents need to take care of their own stupid spoiled brats and just their mouths until a REAL injustice hits their kids.

HootsytheOwl

Reaction score
Celebrity Lullabye..LOL

Hello everybodeee!:super:

I saw that clip on youtube, the actual clip I mean....not the article.:wink: I laughed so hard I nearly fell out of my chair. It was so great to see Sesame Street actually acting like....well........Sesame Street! Like when Kermit and Grover used to get into all kinds of silliness, or when Mr. Johnson ( ho ho ho.....lol Grover) would have all sorts of problems and yell. Or even the old grumpy grouchy Oscar. Besides, I loved that hard rock " NA NA NA NA NAAAAAAAA" part. :big_grin:

your dear friend,
Kitt

Drtooth

Reaction score
Drtooth for 2012!
Can I just be blunt? You wouldn't want that, joke or not. The power would go to my head and I'd be a horrid dictator. I rather not go into details, but really... you don't want that.

I saw that clip on youtube, the actual clip I mean....not the article. I laughed so hard I nearly fell out of my chair. It was so great to see Sesame Street actually acting like....well........Sesame Street! Like when Kermit and Grover used to get into all kinds of silliness, or when Mr. Johnson ( ho ho ho.....lol Grover) would have all sorts of problems and yell. Or even the old grumpy grouchy Oscar. Besides, I loved that hard rock " NA NA NA NA NAAAAAAAA" part.
But that's my point exactly...

Sesame Street has been and will always be a show that uses comedy (among other things, but mostly comedy) to get messages across. Like, when you open up a book of funny facts, you'll remember them forever, as opposed to reading something straight in a text books and getting quizzed on it... you'll forget most of what you know eventually, unless you can link some sort of positive emotion to it.

There are just so many kid's shows nowadays that are witless and vapid that talk so down to children, you'd swear they're talking baby talk. And I don't feel like re-listing all the culprits. Then you look at stuff like Curious George, Word Girl (though that's for older kids), Arthur... they all have such sharp writing that anyone can enjoy. George even had one episode where the Man in the Yellow Hat loses his hat and says something to the extent of "If I don't have my yellow hat...I...just don't know who I am." I'm in my late 20's and I fell out of the chair laughing. I caught one minute of Super Why, and I felt very ill. They slaughter fairy tales to make them suitable for 1 year olds, eliminating any conflict and peril and all the wonderful things that made these stories time honored classics. Even the sanitized Disney versions kept in references to evil, villainy, spite and all those wonderful negative things with bad sounding names that make stories.

This comment is just as bad to me as the parental groups that say "I hate when my kids ask for something in the store. It's the commercial's fault!" And they buy their kids stuff anyway. Or The parents that whine about their kids getting hurt playing tag, baseball, dodgeball, kickball...etc. and ban those activities at their kid's schools, and then complain that their kids aren't going outside with physical activities and are now gaining weight. Sure, raising a child is a hard thing. But that's what being a parent is. You can't sit your kid in front of a TV wrapped up in bubble wrap all day and expect them to become well adjusted, healthy, and successful. You'll wind up with kids too afraid to make risks and incapable of making decisions for themselves. And frankly, that's frankly worse than letting a 3 year old watch "The Abominable Dr. Phibes," let alone Rickey Gervais being funny.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Can I just be blunt? You wouldn't want that, joke or not. The power would go to my head and I'd be a horrid dictator. I rather not go into details, but really... you don't want that.
Well then...

*Salutes*

HEIL DRTOOTH!

Okay, I kid.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Now THAT tops my 2009 list of weird and unnecessary internet blogging stories...What oh what was the point! If ANYTHING should be worrying that literal mother, it's that a man like Ricky G got into Elmo's room in the first place...Heaven help us if she sees the interview where Elmo and Ricky discuss some very strange subjects indeed.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well then...

*Salutes*

HEIL DRTOOTH!

Okay, I kid.

Uh.. well, I meant more like Dr. Robotnik in the Saturday morning cartoon version of Sonic... uh...
Now THAT tops my 2009 list of weird and unnecessary internet blogging stories.
Sounds like some pretty tight competition... half of blogs are completely useless ANYWAY. But not any of ours... Muppet Mindset, Muppet News Flash... you name them... all excellence.