Article On Disney Animation: Is It Fading?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby
But the ultimate point is I don't want to remember that I'm sitting in a theater when I'm watching a film except for laughter and audience reaction (note: not audience distraction) I only want to experience the film.
I get ya. The fact is - digital film will always look different. It's like watercolors and oils. They just exist on different principles. What I find interesting about your statement is that film theorists have stated that the hypnotic flicker of standard film projection grabs the viewer's attention much more than the smooth, continuous stream of digital. Digital doesn't have the virtually invisible black frames between film frames. Some remark that it's part of the magic of film.

Digital really isn't that bad, it has room for improvement and it will always have more of a limited range from dark to light. Video (which is what digital film really is) has always been a high contrast medium.

There really is room for all types of projection. Just as different movies use different film stock for mood, directors, not movie theaters, should be the ones to decide if a film is shot traditionally or digitally. A time and place for everything. :wink:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I like either form. I admit, digital has a lot that needs to be wokred on, but, in twenty years, most likely we're still going to have a decent print on digital. In twenty years, if not kept up, film will deteriorate beyond repair. Another thing I like about digital, if you're doing special effects, it's easier to just put it on the film, also, it's easier to edit. Just go onto your computer and there you go.

beaker

Reaction score
Digital works great at home, in fact I cant believe there are still people who dont have dvd players(what, arent they like $50 now?) But blown up on a huge screen? eeeeerrrgghhhh.
Pixel city!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
DVDs are a different technology than digital projection. DVDs have a lot more compression.

hdofu

Reaction score
I'd say Return of Jafar was almost as Good as the original but some of those stories have gotten a bit ridiculous. I have a hard time Imagining what lies ahead, I have a hunch if this keeps up we will hve a sequel to Pinochio and Snow white before 2005