Artwork from Carroll Spinney

Rymoore21

Reaction score
A while back, Carroll Spinney sent me a letter of encouragement. I went to check my mail today and to my surprise, there was another letter from Carroll. On a previous SASE I drew a picture of my puppet, Charlie holding the return address in his hand. Carroll colored him (using the correct colors) and drew a picture of Big Bird looking at Charlie, saying "Wow, he's BIG!" He sent me a Christmas card that he "forgot to send in previous mail" along with a piece of poster board with a drawing of "Flat Bird" on it to keep the envelope from being bent. He is seriously the nicest man in this industry! Just thought I would share some pictures.

mr3urious

Reaction score
That's so awesome of him to send you those! :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow, that card he made is simply amazing! You lucky pup.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
I didn't know until looking at this thread hat Caroll Spinney was an artist. He even did a drawing for a tribute of Jerry.

Does anyone what picture he did back on August last year?
Just curious!

Rymoore21

Reaction score
I'm not sure. This is the first I have heard of it.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There was a drawing he did for Life Magazine as a tribute to Jerry. Last December they published their year-end tribute to all the celebrities who died in 2012. And Jerry made the very last page. If I can get my hands on a scanner, I'll post it here.

I was lucky enough to meet Caroll at New York's Comic-Con a few years back (October 10, 2010). He signed my copy of the first Sesame Street cast album-I've also gotten Bob and Susan's autographs too- and in the corner he drew a little picture of Big Bird saying "10!10!!10!" since that was the date- 10/10/10.

And yes, he's one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. What I wouldn't give to spend an hour and share a beer with him. I could imagine the stories he could tell. :smile:

Rymoore21

Reaction score
Lucky duck! I can't wait to meet him someday. If you can find that picture, I would love to see it.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Back in December, Caroll sent me a Christmas card with some artwork on it. As well as a letter of encouragement/advice in regards to puppetry. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've considered writing to Caroll Spinney myself, but I don't want to bore him with yet another, "Oh, I'm such a big fan, I've admired your work for so long, oh, by the way, I'm a puppeteer myself, yada-yada-yada..." Plus, I don't ever seem to have much luck with fan mail. I've gotten a photo from Kevin Clash years ago... Kathy Greenwood wrote back to me and sent a picture as well... I've gotten emails from Tony Sampson (Eddy from Ed, Edd n Eddy) as well as Tom Bergeron, those are just about my only success stories, and I've lost count how many people I've written fan mail to and never got a response from.