Ask Ken at Palisades

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
kane31666

"I wouldn't decide to not even bother collecting this line because of two elusive exclusives"

well, as of right now it maybe 3 elusive exclusives, i think there was mention of an Animal repaint as well.

Zack)Rowlf the, Dog

MM-III

Reaction score
huh?

When has it ever been easy to be a completist?

Most of the action figure collectors I know have to work their tail's off (not to mention make large expenditures) in order to acquire a complete action figure collection. That's why most collectors are completists on only one or maybe two lines.. and then just collect stuff that interests them outside of that.

This guy seems to be complaining that Palisades isn't just handing over collectable items. Well guess what? If they were easy to get... they wouldn't be collectable!

Look at it this way... there are only 424 people in the entire world who can be a completist on the muppets line. (only that many of the dr. teeth variant have been made) So obviously, not everyone in the world can have the "all or nothing" approach that you have. Those that do want to rise to that challenge are going to have to work for it. That's the way it is with this line, that's the way it is with EVERY line.

Acquiring the collection is supposed to be fun. Personally, I like the challenge of finding the best deals on the things you want. That way each figure has a different story. "That's the 300.00 figure that I snagged at a flea market sale for 2 bucks..." etc...

That's why people are collectors and it's also why you often see people sell their entire collection once it's finished. They live for the challenge, not necessarily the end result.

Anyway, your reasons are your own... but I'm not sure why you criticize palisades for doing what every single other company in the business does on practically every line.

Luke

Reaction score
Hey wait a minute - lay off Steve J, he's more than entitled to his opinion, is it that anybody with any kind of view that Palisades isn't the best toy company in the world just gets crapped on around here - well i've got news for you - look around the net at action figure collecting boards, there have been plenty of complaints in the past about poor delivery times, shipping dates never met or release dates moved etc etc - I think the main thing people can agree on is that they are capable of making some pretty decent looking figures, not all though - look at the normal piggy figure, it's just a snout with a body - she's a hog !

I agree with what people say that you can't have everything etc etc, but you've gotta look at his circumstances too. To say 'oh well, more figures for the rest of us' is just being downright rude. It wouldn't have been a major deal to make sure the Muppet Central people were/are furnished with the exclusives - at least those who cared enough to write in to Palisades. It's not the biggest deal to collect EVERY single figure but the only place people could have read about emailing in to get the Dr Teeth Exclusive was here at MC. Here at MC is where Ken & Co have been doing their research and getting heaploads of help with the line for months and months now. I'm not saying that Palisades are totally to blame for this but - how tricky would it have been to have saved around SIX (that is how many people wrote in) figures out of FOUR HUNDRED AND TWENTY FOUR and sold them via mail order for these people who have contributed to the 'Ask Ken' threads. The answer here is not very - they're only a small toy company, all they had to do was get a customer service rep to stick a figure in an envelope ! If Palisades would have done this and SteveJ would had still been complaining then fine, you can turn round and say he had his chance to write in and he didn't so thats tough, instead he's now another dissapointed customer.

I just really, really wish people here were getting a little more recognition for their help - it seems that they are STILL asked for their opinions on a Pepe figure or whatever color Joe Schmo's boxer shorts should be - but if they want to be one of SIX people asking for a Dr Teeth figure apparently Palisades doesn't want to know and you have to go and pay through the roof to some scalper at Ebay. Is this the attitude of a responsible toy company ?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
To be fair I see both sides of the issue, but understand Palisiades' position on this and they have tried to be fair.

I think about it as trading cards - It always annoyed me how you could buy 100 packs and not get the card you want! It's simply the nature of the beast.

I sill wish Palisades would offer these at a more convienient spot. We all can't jump a plane for a figure, but he has maintained that none of these would be "choice" exclusives and we have to respect that. No one is really getting hosed on these, though it would be fantastic to acquire all variations of these characters.

I just think we, as Muppet fans, are not used to this exclusivity practice. To me it confirms the poularity of them that there would be such a big draw for this figure line. I hope I get them all too, but it won't prevent me from getting the ones I can. That seems foolish to me, but you got to do what you feel is right for you.

On another note - my local EB lists Friday for the release of series one (sans Beaker of course). Wooohiooo. Do you think it will really be neccessary to reserve characters?

Sam T Eagle

Reaction score
I agree with you Luke & SteveJ
and another thing we all should make wagers that the figures won't be out on time again, I hope they come out on time but I dought it because EB games will probly change the date again and this will be the 3rd or 4th time!
I ask Ken,question about a week & half a go Ken still haven't answer my question about Animal and about the other figuers
That bugs me!

MM-III

Reaction score
Although I respect their right to their opinions (and I hope no offense was taken by my previous comments), I have to disagree with the sentiments of both luke and SteveJ...

I mentioned this in another thread but I'll repeat it here... We all had a chance to get a 2nd run on dr. teeth repaint figures. Only 12 people responded out of what was then over 200 members. Just how accomodating do you expect palisades to be? We can't honestly expect to be given special access to exclusives just because of the site's relationship with Ken can we? Perhaps if they offer us this chance again, we will take it more seriously.

Aside from that... How often do you get the chance to be a part of the development process for anything? We always get the news about the figures first, we get the ear of the person in charge of the figure line, and he responds to our concerns and suggestions on a regular basis. Now sure, he might miss someone's question or not agree with everything we suggest, but that's still way more than the people who create the star wars figures of simpsons figures will do for you.

I'm not sure just because we discuss muppets with him (something as muppet fans, we would do anyway) , that this entitles us to more than we currently get. We're fortunate to have this opportunity, let's not ruin it by getting spoiled.

That's all I'm saying.

FER SURE

Reaction score
Sam-

Ken probably didn't answer cause he doesnt know. Once the figures leave the warehouse Palisades no longer controls them. They are put on a truck and sent to a distrubution center where they have to get inventoried and sorted and repacked then shipped again. All this takes time! The fact that EB has changed their ship dates is because they always get their dates wrong.

kane31666

Reaction score
Like I mentioned in a post earlier in this thread, maybe if the board started a petition of sorts, and the majority of the board signed it, requesting the Dr. Teeth variant, then maybe there's a possibility that Palisades will sell that and the upcoming beaker via the site.

MM-III

Reaction score
Although I've already acquired my teeth... I would sign the petition Kane... That's far more constructive than merely complaining about it.