Ask Ken at Palisades

matleo

Reaction score
I think the thing about the original Mupet Show was that yeah there was always that kind of level of "look what we're gettgin away with, but it was always kind of playful. There was more of an innocence to it that just didn't come across in the x-mas movie. Also, something that bothered me recently when I was watchign it again was how 'dark' it was. There really are no lighter scenes except for then you see Whoopi Godlberg. Everything is just of dark and in that sense I can see why some people have said this is too scary for kids. I mean look at 'Moulin Scrooge" sure it's funny but it's really dark and twisted it's shot with all these werid camera angles..which is becasue that's ohw Moulin Rouge was filmed. and with Moulin Rouge it works, but you have ot take into acount that this IS a Muppet produciton and there WILL be children watching. You haver to approach the work with some sensitivity. I think Henosn kind of dropped the ball on that in this show. I like IVMMCM, and I like a lot of stuff they did with it, andi nsome ways yes it IS a step in the right firection, but you've also got to staty tur to what made the Muppets succesful in the first place or you cut off half of your audience. As a Muppet fan I like it, but the difference between this and a lot of other Muppet pieces is that, I feel like if I had kids, younger kids, I would have been a little wary of some stuff and I don;t think the Muppets are seomting you should have to preview before watching it with your kids. like I said, the Muppet show was just more playful in it's 'innuendos'

BTW: on the subject of religion and Muppets, if you watch either IVMMCM or the Alice Cooper episode of TMS, they never actually say "God' or "Satan"....it's implied. Alice Cooper 'knows someone who can make things happen by siging a contract'. I think the reason some people get bent oout of shape with Whooppi is becasue it is implied a bit more heavily and you start dealing with representing a figure/icon/symbol who many people have a certain ideal of and it's NOT Whoopi Goldberg. that's my 2 cents anyway.

--Matt

WiGgY

Reaction score
Well this is just the natural progression of a disscussion. There are over 300 posts in this thread, a few more wan't hurt :wink:

Any way. Petrieboy said something about a sneeze orgasim from MT. I saw that skit. The whole joke was that it was a SNEEZE! It was a spoof of When Harry Met Sally. In that movie there was a fake orgasim, but piggy did a SNEEZE! You can't do a sneeze orgasim! Why do you make such a bg deal out of stuff?

AVMMC was partly a spoof of It's a Wonderful Life. In that movie I believe Clarence had a conversation with God throughtout the movie. Hmmm...sounds familiar. Is the problem with AVMMC the fact that "the boss" had a face too?

There was nothing wrong with the movie. It reflected the times. And I don't think any muppet projects will be around in ten years if we don't get new stuff. Quit bashing AVMMC. It was a pretty **** good special. Stop being so freakishly over religious.

matleo

Reaction score
Originally posted by Zack the Dog
I don't know if this is what you ment so not to put words in your mouth, but Halloween isn't about worshiping the devil, it's not really about dressing up in a costume and go trick or treating either, i mean that's not what started it. I know i'm not 100% right but i thought it had to deal with the day of the dead which is celebrated by spanish people who look back at the loss of their loved one's showing they will always be rememeber, only it's like a big celebration, "not that they are dead" but a look back at there live's and how much they are loved and missed.

there more to this though, but if i go in to detail's i'll never come out of it.;-)

Zack)Rowlf the, i just keep going, and going, and going, and going, and...Dog

And going too!
Actually Halloween, as I understand it is originally a Pagan holiday meant to scare away evil spirits. it doesn't have anythin to do with worshipping Satan..it's the opposite. You're actually tryin to scare Stan's minions away. that's where the dressing up and the masks and the costuems come form anyway. The masks are intended to scare away evil spirits. Funny thing about Easter and Christmas too is that alot of the things we know as 'symbols' of those 'Catholic" Holidays are actually pagan symbols...decortaing the tree, eatser eggs, giving gifts..haven't you ever wondered what the Easter Bunny has ot do with the ressurrection of Jesus Christ??? Bascially what was going on was you had...well, first you had the pagans who had three yearly festivals...one to scare away evil spirits (Halloween) one to celebrate the winter solstice (the death of mother earth) and another to celebrate the spring equinox (the Birth of Mother Earth). And you also had the Christians who were basically trying ot convince every one that they were right (no offense to any Christians on the board....it is pretty much what the crusades were about.) Ok, so eventually the christians looked at what the pagans were doing and they thought "you kno what, if we can show them that we know how ot have a good time too....maybe they'l join us. So the Christians started utilizing many of the pagans symbols in their holiday celebrations (the birth of Christ and the resurrection of Christ) and eventually the two were pretty fused. I mean if you thin about it, the christians were pretty clever. We bascially think of Christmas as celebratingthos e two things. No one ever mentions the winter solstice or Spring equinox when it comes ot these thigns and no one quesitons decorating a tree or hiding easter eggs. they got what they wanted. I have a whole other rant I can go on about how the media and big business have caused us to forget about the birth and ressurrecton Christ too, but I'll save that for another thread. Hope this helps or is found informative.

Oh yeah, my quesiton for Ken.....what are you going to be for Halloween this year?
--Matt

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hiya,

I have zero problems with IAVMMCM on any level. I felt that it was great to see the muppets being more like themselves from TMS, the inside-out of The Muppet Theater, the Muppets FINALLY having to deal with something as terrible as losing all their hopes and dreams after working so hard for 25 years (not all things were hunky-dory all over). I had no problem with Whoopi as God. Nobody fussed when she was a "Nun."

I can't foresee a show of the Muppets in Bombay India. As a sketch, or a 30 minute deal, possibly. Not a whole movie. It wouldn't catch my interest at all, and only those who knew what it was all about would ever get it and possibly appreciate it.

Personally, I could see a new show with them living together at the Muppet Boarding House, working at The Muppet Show Theater, and the other things that goes on in their lives. Would leave a wider space available to do many different things and activities. Of course, with new songs possibly added in.

I have said over and over, but the JHC folks need to sit down and STUDY their company's original works when Jim was still involved, and learn from that and begin to develop new ideas based on old ones that worked, just tweak it a little for today's times.

As far as inuendos, who can forget the original pilot of The Muppet Show was "Sex and Violence."

Now, back to action figure ideas, the main thing about accessories that I enjoy are those items that you canNOT get at other stores or doll house magazines. Stuff that is officially Muppetized is what I enjoy best.

I would like to see a 12" Jim Henson doll with a Kermit-puppet accessory and director's chair, but that would never happen.

FOZ

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
hey Ken, how big of a delay between series 3 hitting shelves and the Swedish Chef kitchen do you expect there to be? Is the Chef still sort of in wave 3.5??

ExodiaTF1

Reaction score
halloween was a day when demons used to come from **** and walk the earth so people used to dress up like them so they can go about there day without being attacked.
Also for everybody who wants to know i have a 6 yr old daughter who happened to love the it's a wonderful life muppets style much more than the muppet movie so i think it did pretty good.

Luke

Reaction score
**** - I actually SAW pictures of the entire 2003 line up of Muppets today, they are so cool.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Dude, Nate, that last post's extra link was soooooo not kosher. If someone's going to post an update of Palisades' lineup, at least provide some way to shut off any extraneous sound effects so that others can try to read the lineup's listing in peace. I know that you were only joking, but this is the kind of stuff that really grates on one's nerves. Sorry if I came down a little harsh on the prank, but that's how I feel after being cheated out of a little news preview.