average Monsterpiece Theater sketches per year

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Back when Monsterpiece Theater sketches were in production, does anybody know how many different skits would be made each year? I was just thinking about this subject. I've read that the series began in 1982 (though that could be wrong... and some have said that the first one seems to have been made much earlier than the rest). I grew up watching these skits in the 1980s, and out of the sketches I recall from my childhood, there is only a small number. It seems like most of the sketches were made in the 1990s (I could be wrong about those years, and might have not seen certain ones even when I was a little kid, wacthing almost every day before I began school).

The ones that I recall watching before I was in the first grade (the 1990-1991 school year) include: Chariots of Fur, The Sound of Music, Gone with the Wind, The Tamming of the Shoe, and Guys and Dolls. I also know that Upstairs, Downstairs and Me, Claudius were both made during the late 1970s/ early 1980sn and The King and I is from 1989. However, I don't ever remember seeing those as a child (and I have read that Upstairs, Downstairs was shown in a 1989 episode while Me, Claudius was in a 1987 episode). There are others that I remember from my childhood, but my memory tells me that I first saw those sometime after the first grade. I don't ever remember seeing Twin Beaks, but I would guess that that sketchw as made during the time that Twin Peaks was being produced (did the show end after 1990?). I don't remember seeing The Old Man and the C untill I was in the ninth grade (1998), but I think it looks like it was from the mid-1980s.

Still, out of the ones that I know were from the 1980s decade, I only know of nine different ones that were made during the 1980s. It's almost as if each season only had one new Monsterpeice Theater sketch, or if production on new segments were skipped during a few seasons.

The years could have been like this:
1981 or earlier: Upstairs, Downstairs
1982: Me, Clausius
1983: Chariots of Fur
1984: The Sound of Music
1985: The 39 Stairs.
1986: The Tamming of the Shoe
1987: Gone with the Wind
1988: Guys and Dolls
1989: The King and I

I could be wrong on that. I have a feeling that Gone with the Wind, The 39 Stairs, and The Old Man and the C are all from 1984 (but I could be wrong), and I have a feeling that Me, Claudius and Chariots of Fur were from 1982. Who knows for sure?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Actually MT began in the late 70s. At least that's how I remember it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Actually MT began in the late 70s. At least that's how I remember it.
Yeah, from what I've been reading lately, it seems like the first one was shown in the late 1970s, and then it became a recurring sketch a few years later. But what I am wondering is how many sketches were made for Monsterpiece Theater in a single year, and if there were any years where there were no new Monsterpiece Theater sketches when the sketch was still seen regularly. I wonder what year the last Monsterpiece Theater segment was made in.