Bad Baby Names

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Hahaha!!

I have another one, too. I used to know someone who's last name is Mann, and teachers used to call him "Mr. Mann".
That reminds me of that scene in The Blues Brothers as they leave the lady's boarding house and she comes running outside after them shouting, "Oh, Mr. Man! Mr. Man!!"

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Hahaha!!

I have another one, too. I used to know someone who's last name is Mann, and teachers used to call him "Mr. Mann". It always made me giggle.
MR. MANN! I know a Mr. Mann! I mean I knew a Mr. Mann. He passed away, unfortunately, but he was awesome! What I always thought was kind of funny was his wife... Mrs. Mann... Um, anyway.

Bad baby names? How about "Brandy Alexander". She gets teased for that, or at least she used to. And then my aunt, I don't remember what my grandparents wanted to name her, but "Gale" was a HUGE improvement. Oh, and my mom's name is Roberta, which isn't bad except that her nickname for years and years was "Bird"

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
BTW: Don't know if I mentioned this. In my comic strips/puppet shows, one of Muley's best friends is a fowl named Roy Duck. In Paris, TN, there lives:

You guessed it!

Roy Duck. :smile:

That Announcer

Reaction score
Another one: My dad used to work with a guy by the name of Art Coward (he just retired a couple of months ago). Now during school, when roll call would be taken, his first initial and full surname would be used. So, he was christened with the nickname "Chicken", due to his being- you guessed it- A. Coward. As a matter of fact, to avoid the same ribbing from office workers, his was the only cubicle nameplate in the whole office building with a full first name.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Just thinking that it seems like a lot has to do with how common a last name is. So if we here a last name like chicken, duck, dog, horse, cow, or sheep it sounds funny to us. But if we hear someone mentioning lamb, swan, bird, fox, or fish then we don't think anything about it.

- Jim Elephant :smile:

That Announcer

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Just thinking that it seems like a lot has to do with how common a last name is. So if we here a last name like chicken, duck, dog, horse, cow, or sheep it sounds funny to us. But if we hear someone mentioning lamb, swan, bird, fox, or fish then we don't think anything about it.
That reminded me of a Charlie Fleischer joke. "If you're having a kid, don't name him Wink, Neil, Bob... these are VERBS, not nouns. That'll come back to haunt him later on in life in the office- "So Bob, how are you?" (man bobs)."

edible eye

Reaction score
I was thinking of naming a daughter Myfanwy. Pronounced ma-vahn-we.
It's Welsh. My great-uncle Jonh told me how to pronounce it, he spoke Welsh. I like the sound of it even though it looks almost like Myfanny.

luvtosr

Reaction score
edible eye said:
I was thinking of naming a daughter Myfanwy. Pronounced ma-vahn-we.
It's Welsh. My great-uncle Jonh told me how to pronounce it, he spoke Welsh. I like the sound of it even though it looks almost like Myfanny.
Well, I dunno if your American or not but 'f***y' means something a bit different to us Brits. I don't mind the name , it's used in a British comedy show called Little Britain too, that's the only other place I've heard it.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Fanny is a name around these parts, but we also call a "rear end" a fanny.

Of course, Little Richard sings about a "short, fat Fanny" is his heart's desire.

luvtosr

Reaction score
Yeah Fanny's a (rather outdated name) here too and I knew what American's use fanny to refer to but like I say, over here it means something else pretty close to the American meaning but not quite.