BBC refusing to buy Sesame Street when it started

Whataday

Reaction score
Can anyone explain why the BBC didn't want to buy Sesame Street in the late 1960's?

I've heard that CTW wouldn't let them produce their own version, but as there have been different language versions elsewhere, I'm not sure how true it is.

drmusic_99

Reaction score
Whataday said:
Can anyone explain why the BBC didn't want to buy Sesame Street in the late 1960's?

I've heard that CTW wouldn't let them produce their own version, but as there have been different language versions elsewhere, I'm not sure how true it is.
Around 1971, CBC became interested in buying Sesame Street. Head of information (and children's programming) (and future CBC anchor) Knowlton Nash was concerned, however, about some of the content being less than relevant to Canadian children (Spanish language instruction, life in Puerto Rico, the letter "zee" instead of "zed"), so he proposed airing a Canadianized version of the show. Nash explained in his book that the CTW people were very resistant to the idea of allowing some segments of their baby to be crafted by other hands. They had set high standards for the show's production values, and only reached a deal with CBC after some long discussions about quality control.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Whataday,

Hey,
The BBC (the same as CBC) didnt think that some of the stuff that Sesame Street was teaching to the American children was relevant to the Children of the UK. So they didnt want to air it... After that ITV (ATV) bought the rights and aired it.

I didnt know that the BBC wanted to make a Co Production. That would have been really great if they did tho.

Im still hoping for a UK Version some day.

see ya