Before the internet....

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
After seeing Travis' Muppety collection at Pallisades website it got me to thinking how great the internet is.

Before the internet I grew up thinking I was really the only person who had a deep appreciation for the Muppets. I had a lot of toys and such (not as comprehensive as Travis' collection in the least though). I remember in 6th grade we had a career day and we were to dress like what we wanted to be when we grew up. I borrowed my friend's Animal Muppet and dressed like a hippie and went as a Muppeteer. Everybody thought I was crazy and wanted to know when I would grow up because Muppets were for kids. Didn't matter to me though. But I wished that there had been kids like you guys around to support my Muppet fetish.

The same thing goes for my Bewitched obsession. Before the internet I believed I was the only person who loved the show and had a crush on Elizabeth Montgomery. Now after meeting some people on the internet who love Bewitched as well I finally have some one to discuss the show and her with w/o them giving me guff about such a silly obsession. And I realize that no matter how much you love the Muppets or Bewitched or anything else there is some out there who loves them more....

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
How Sweet it Is...

Oh the internet, what a beautiful creation. I am such a happier person because of it. Here is a very brief list of reasons why:

1) I can get videos I could never had gotten before through connections to people. MST3K especially.

2) I can talk to fellow Muppet fans, MST3K fans, cartoon fans, and fans of anything else I'm way into

3) I can see pictures, videos, hear audio, and just do so many other things that would never be done without the internet.

I love this thing. Sure I have encountered some bad seeds, but overall it's been pretty good to me. I am a total internet nerd, and I wouldn't have it anyother way. :big_grin:

-Matt

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Originally posted by Crazy Harry
There was a time before the internet?
Hmm...I think god said "Let there be internet!" and light kinda just came along with it...

-Matt

Joggy

Reaction score
I love the Internet especially because of the people. What other Dutchguy can say they keep in touch regularly with British and American people like you? I made friends with some of the most special people on here, and without them my life would have been very different.

Also thanks to the Internet I got to increase my Muppet collection, my Muppet knowledge, my video collection... not to mention, how in the world would I be able to get my Palisades figures if I weren't online???

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Sir Joggith..

Oh Joggy, I've been meaning to ask you. A little off the topic, but I have always wondered; are you Dutch-born? If so, when did you learn English? Are you using translation programs? Just curious. People around here seem to love you, and I don't know a darn thing about ya. :smile:

-Matt

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
There was a time before the internet?
Yes, it is strange to think of time when there wasn't internet. I can't imagine how I functioned w/o email! Oh, that would be awful!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Kinda like the cell phone. People need these things more than they need their own limbs. Yet, there was a time before them. A safer time for drivers, a less noisy time for everyone...but a time nonetheless. :smile:

-Matt

Joggy

Reaction score
Matt,

Sorry bout the delay of posting - if ya don't post TOO much like me, you just forget to look at threads you posted in.

Anyway, yeah, I'm Dutch-born, lived here waaaay over the ocean for my entire life. My knowledge of your language comes from some of the best English teachers ever - the Muppets. Yup. Besides analysing really dumb sitcom jokes, playing Nintendo games and getting some help from school getting my grammar straight, my English comes mostly from watching TMS, the movies, specials and later on the American Sesame Street, at a very early age, listening to the English voices and reading the Dutch subtitles (and occasionally not having any subtitles to read).

Besides that, talking to others in English also helps a great deal. I think you guys must be my second favorite English teachers :big_grin:

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Joggy

Wow, ya know that is really interesting stuff. I was trying to further my knowledge of spanish by watching GMC with spanish subtitles, but it kind of bored me. Its really great to see the Muppets helped you in more than the conventional peace-and- love typa way. :big_grin:

-Matt