Behind the Music: Solid Foam

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Enjoy this fan fic, involving Solid Foam, the band from The Jim Henson Hour. I had considered titling this "Behind the Music: Solid Foam - A True Hollywood Story".

Announcer: In 1989, the Muppets main band, The Electric Mayhem, was temporarily replaced with a band called Solid Foam. Tonight, we take a look at one of the most obscure 1980s bands of all time, as well as one of the most obscure one-hit wonders. Actually, they are the same band. Tonight, on Behind the Music, the true hollywood story of the rise and fall of Solid Foam.

(The Behind the Music opening plays)

Kermit: it happened in 1987. Us Mupets were planning to return with a new television series, The Jim Henson Hour, but our original plan was to focus on several new characters, rather than just overuse the same-old characters fans have seen thousand sof times.
Miss Piggy: it was his worst decision ever.

Announcer: And in creating all-new characters, they needed a new band. But the band hired for the pilot broke up soon after the pilot was produced. But also after the pilot, most of the new characters decided to give up show buisness, and Kermit decided to let many of the classic Muppets appear after all.
Kermit: So we were going to have The Electric Mayhem appear on the show after all, but unfortunately, at the time they were taking a temporary break from show buisness.
Floyd: I decided to just relax and spend time at hip coffee shops, Animal went wild chasing women and eating, my girl Janice was writing poetry, Zoot played the nightclubs as a soloist, the good doctor tried his hand at recording other artists, and Lips.. Well, it's best not to discuss his deal.
Kermit: Anyway, we needed a new band.
Digit: I, Digit, was the only cast member from the pilot who continued to stay, and I got to be the technician. But due to my keyboard experience, Kermit suggested that I play keyboard in this new band.
Dr. Teeth: I became manager at a recording studio, and Kermit asked me to pick some musicians to fill out the band. So I picked the drummer, because her skills were good, and then there was this music duo, Flash and Clifford, who were semi-successful with their local demos.
Clifford: Me and Flash got our start togetehr as a duo, and Dr. Teeth thought we were just what the Muppets needed for a enw band.
Flash: (mumbling, before becoming coherrent).... and then I occassionally talk like this. But anyway, we were nervous about replacing one of the greatest bands ever, but all it took was... (mumbles again)
Beard: Floyd saw me performign solo at a coffee shop, and thought I was right for the Muppets, especially since I didn't play his instrument.
Announcer: And with that, a new band was formed. When we get back, learn about their temporary success.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Now let's continue the fan fiction...

Announcer: The band was started, and The Jim Henson Hour soon made it to the air.
Beard: We all had a lot of fun performign, though we didn't get many chances to headline our songs.
Clifford: Although we didn't get to perform much, we did get to hang around the studio.
Gonzo: (upside-down) I got to hang around the studio more than the band did.
Digit: I got a lot of responsibilities, working the technical stuff and playing keyboards.
Announcer: However, the band soon came out with their big hit, "The Music Just Keeps Us Rollign Along".
(a clip from that number is shown. The music is still heard over the next few interviews)
Flash: Like, man, I got some groupies and (starst mumbling).
Clifford: The fans wer ebegging for our autographs. Well, with one exception...
Drumer: I didn't get any recognition for my drumming.
Clifford: it was good musical experience, even though we weren't even nominated for one grammy.
(some more of The Music Just Keeps Us Roling Along is shown)
Announcer: Unfortunately for them, the songs success was the beginning of the end. The band started to slowly bicker with each other.
Drummer: I was the first to make fits. Nobody knew or cared about me, but the rest of the band was respected. I decided to leave the band and go solo, but then I remaiend obscure.
Clifford: Flash soon decided to become a solo saxaphone player, living off residuals and with his groupies. But he started having some problems.
Flash: (mumbles about his problems)
Announcer: But the rest of the band tried to stay afloat. But it's hard when the band is not on water. When we get back, learn how the band tried to stay a band.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Announcer: With two members gone, the band needed some repalcements, and fast.
Clifford: Luckily, Zoot annd Animal were both willing to perform with us, and it was a good combination while it lasted.
Beard: I liked the change, even though Animal kept eating my guitar strings and my sunglasses.
Digit: I don't remember anything abut them being in the band.
Announcer: Unfortunatley, The Jim Henson Hour was cancled soon after the band changed. And afterwards, The Electric Mayhem got back together as aband, making Solid Foam unneccessary.
Beard: While it was sad, I was getting tired of being with the Muppets. me and Floyd had conflicts since we were too similar in personality. However, I did hit rock bottom. When I get depressed, I drink lots of coffee. I had been a small town soloist for most of my life, and then, all of a sudden, I'm part of a band on a big prime time TV series, so breaking up with the band got me really depressed. I drank too much coffee, until I became addicted. But now I have a tea problem.
Clifford: I stayed with the Muppets for awhile, sometimes performing with The Electric Mayhem, but I got my big break when I hosted MUppets Tonight. Then I pretty much lost touch with the Muppets.
Digit: I've spent the last 20 years at Muppet Central. It's better than being a musician. Oh, and I hope The Jim Henson Hour celebrates it's 20th anniversary!
Announcer: So the show was cancled and the band split up. But maybe someday, Solid Foam wil return to the spotlight.
Kermit: It would be great if they were to return.
Floyd: I wouldn't mind it, as long as my band is still the main Muppet band.
Flash: Oh, yeah, I'd like to.. (starts mumbling)
Clifford: I ave a feeling we'll return, but don't hold your breath.
Announcer: This was Behind the Music. Goodnight.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
That was fantastic minor muppetz. I wish other characters from Solid Foam continuted besides Clifford (and to a very lesser extend, Digit).