1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Behind the Scenes of "The Muppet Movie"

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Was Once Ernie, Jun 24, 2005.

1. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Well-Known Member

Thanks--I was guessing maybe it was a combo of the two, but it's nice to know.

2. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

Thank you! I would love to be a guest.

I now have the dubious distinction of being the guy that knew the guys. Not only with the Muppets, but in other fields as well. I'm always being interviewed on animation DVD sets because I worked with all the big names -- Disney's Nine Old Men, Friz Freleng, Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera, Daws Butler, etc.

:p

3. Was Once Ernie

John Landis was only Grover.

I seriously doubt that Jane was there. She seems to have pulled back from performing around 1976. It was only a few years after The Muppet Movie was filmed that she and Jim were legally separated. My guess is she was in NY with the kids, who were still younger at the time.

Since it was filmed in the summer, the family may have come out to visit, but I doubt they were hanging around for long periods of time. Movie making is very slow and tedious.

4. That Announcer

That Announcer New Member

Hey, that's neat! What sets have you been on so far? (Specifically, were you on "Fantasia" or its sequel?)

5. rumtar_10165

rumtar_10165 New Member

lets see john landis?

6. rumtar_10165

rumtar_10165 New Member

I dream come true.

I was very young at the time that the muppet movie came out, I think I was 13. Any way I watched the muppets from Sesame Street all the way to jim's last project.

In 1985 I wrote a letter and sent an audio tape to the muppets and they said that the voices was very good. (one they liked alot.) But they were not hireing.

5 years later Jim died, so did my dream of working with him.
    But I still do puppets for churches and other events.
    It is good to see someone who had there dreams come true.
    What are you doing now a days?

7. Was Once Ernie

Thanks for asking.

I do a wide variety of projects now, but mostly I write cartoons and comic books. With a partner, I just sold a brand-new short to Nickelodeon. We start production next month.

For Warner Home Video, I worked on a number of Hanna-Barbera DVD sets.

Earlier this year, I was one of the writers on a new series of "Tom and Jerry" cartoons.

I still perform occasionally and for about three years I used to appear in sketches on The Tonight Show, but it's now been about a year-and-a-half since they've called me. (Don't tell anyone, but I actually did Elmo's voice in one of the Tonight Show bits!)

8. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

Are the new Tom and Jerry cartoons going to televised?

9. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Well-Known Member

Wow, Was Once Ernie, you really seem to have a varied career. It seems like you always have something to keep you interested.

:)

10. That Announcer

That Announcer New Member

ARRRRGH! You told the wrong person! Kill, Tobor, kill! Heh heh...

Don't mean it. I own a few of the Hanna-Barbera sets. Just bought "The New Scooby-Doo Movies", as a matter of fact.

11. MuppetDanny

MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

Cool! :excited: Would you know if Warner has plans to release "The Banana Splits" onto DVD? :zany:

12. Was Once Ernie

So far they've only been sold in Europe. I hope someone will pick them up to air here.

13. Was Once Ernie

They were on the schedule at one point, but the films are in such bad shape that they were pulled. Hopefully, after some restoration, they will be put back on the schedule.

14. Erine81981

Erine81981 Well-Known Member

There shown on Boomeragar or are you meaning that they'll be put on DVD?

15. Erine81981

Would you know what is coming to DVD as in of Hanna Barbera?

16. MuppetDanny

MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks :D

17. Was Once Ernie

We're getting wayyyyyyyyyy off topic here, but since we're already here...

I just finished work on four sets. They are:

Huckleberry Hound: Complete Seasons 1 & 2
    Yogi Bear: The Complete Series
    The Flintstones: Season 4
    Tom and Jerry: Spotlight Collection 2

There are some great extras on these sets, especially on the Huck and Yogi. We reconstructed several of the original shows as they originally aired, complete with interstitial material that hasn't been seen in over 40 years and some in color for the VERY FIRST TIME! (Meaning, they were filmed in color, but never shown that way since most TV's and TV Stations in the late 1950's couldn't broadcast or receive color.) There are Kellogg's cereal commercials, too, which was the original sponsor.

There is also a tribute piece to the great Daws Butler, voices of Huck, Yogi, Dixie, Mr. Jinks, Snagglepuss and a bunch of others. And there is a nice documentary about Hoyt Curtin, who did all the music for Hanna-Barbera for many years.

These are just a few of the highlights.

And no, for you skeptics out there, I don't get any money whether you buy them or not, so my enthusiasm is strictly for the material.

18. Erine81981

Thanks WOE. Your one cool guy. Thanks and sorry about getting off the topic. We'll start a thread if there isn't one made yet. Thanks again WOE.

19. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Have you ever considered writing articles about your experiences on the Sesame Street set?

20. Was Once Ernie

Hmm, I haven't... But I probably should. I've just been dropping little stories here and there around the forum. After I get The Muppet Movie article pulled together, maybe I can work on that.