Bert and Ernie the "Letter of the Day" true...

senderoff

Reaction score
Hey all,
Now a parent of two, I am regularly watching Sesame Street again. I hadn't for more than 20 years. I saw the thread about the new character, and thought this may be a place to get a questioned answered..

Is it true that for a while in the 80's or 90's that Bert and Ernie separated due to pressure from groups that claimed their domestic situation promoted homosexuality?

I know that they are living pretty much under the same roof as when I was a kid, and I don't have a problem with that!!! It is just one of those things that I had heard.

Thanks, Dave

Drtooth

Reaction score
No... that is another rumor. If anyone at SW was dumb enough to seperate the characters based on some wild ramblings of a right wing nutcase baptist, then they should have been fired. In truth they weren't seperated per say, but Ernie has become far more popular. also taking into account that Bert wasn't seen much as Frank Oz was only doing Sesame a few days a year at this time, and until recently, there wasn't anyone else who played the role. Eric Jacobson performs Bert on the days Frank can't make it, so we see a lot more of the duo.