Bert and Ernie vs Ernie and Bert

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Over the years, Bert and Ernie haven't had a consistient billing. Sometimes, Bert is billed first, and sometimes, Ernie is billed first. Though it does seem like in recent years Sesame Workshop has been giving Bert top billing most often (in video clips on the website, the new Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures sketches, Old School chapter stops, etc), and Frank Oz himself has said that "Bert and Ernie" sounds correct to him (of course, mayeb he just wanted to give his character top billing :crazy: )

But what do you think of the ways they are build?

Personally, I feel like Ernie and Bert sounds like the better billing. Maybe it's because I like Ernie better, or maybe it's because Jim Henson performed him (but then by that logic it should be Waldorf and Statler insteasd of Sttaler and Waldorf). Whenever I think of a wishlist of sketches to include on a DVD I usually imagine giving Ernie top billing.

sesameguy

Reaction score
I also tend to like "Ernie and Bert" just because that's the way I remember calling them way back when. But "Bert and Ernie" sounds just as good- their names have a "sound" that sounds OK no matter now you say it.

"Hardy and Laurel" . . . "McCartney/Lennon". . .Hmm. :smile: Actually, it's probably just a matter of what we're used to. "Hardy and Laurel" would be fine if that's how we were used to thinking of them.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I've only even heard it as Bert and Ernie and that fits just fine to me :smile:. After all, it seems like the serious one of a pair is always put first...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've always heard it as "Bert and Ernie" and I guess that is technically official. But some of the older projects do use "Ernie and Bert", which is cool just for a change, hehe.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, if Sesame Street was shown on Nick at Nite, this would make a good concept for a marathon, similar to Nicka t Nite marathons like Chachinated or De-Chachinated (shown when Nick at Nite started airing post-1979 episodes of Happy Days) and Darrin vs Darrin (when Nick at Nite began airing color episodes of Bewitched).

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I also tend to like "Ernie and Bert" just because that's the way I remember calling them way back when. But "Bert and Ernie" sounds just as good- their names have a "sound" that sounds OK no matter now you say it.

"Hardy and Laurel" . . . "McCartney/Lennon". . .Hmm. :smile: Actually, it's probably just a matter of what we're used to. "Hardy and Laurel" would be fine if that's how we were used to thinking of them.
Lol I think the other way 'round to you. For me, it's Laurel and Hardy and Lennon/McCartney

mr3urious

Reaction score
I prefer saying Bert & Ernie, but either way sounds good.