Bert with Lefty, if it ever did happen

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I noticed that on the skits with Ernie and Lefty, Bert would sometimes appear at the end of them, but he would always appear right as soon as Lefty had already went away. But I have to ask and this is a serious question. If Bert and Lefty had ever met, how do you suppose the 2 of them would have related to each other? Like if Bert had come up in the middle of one of Lefty's sales to Ernie, or if Bert had been one of Lefty's potential victims, how would they have related to one another? How would Bert have reacted to Lefty if Lefty tried to sell something to Bert? Just imagine it. If Lefty tried to sell something to Bert that had to do with bottlecaps or paperclips. I just need everyone's thoughts on this.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
only thing I can say on that is Bert probably wouldn't of fallen for such things as buying air.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I would think Bert would be wise to Lefty's scams, but he might get sucked in if it had to do with bottlecaps, paperclips or pigeons. I don't know. There is one cool skit where Lefty pulled a trick on Ernie with the painting of 4 elephants and when Ernie tried to turn around and pull it on Bert, Bert totally ruined it for Ernie.

interesting question- there's a lot of fun encounters that could happen between older and newer characters or characters that just didn't interact much because the same performer did them and they sounded too much the same. But that's what makes fanfiction so much fun! You can do whatever you want with it!:frown: :embarrassed: :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
During the early years of the show it seems like it was common for performers to either pre-record or dub voices for multiple characters in the same skits, even if none of the characters were regularly seen, so there probably could have been a Bert and Lefty skit. Maybe Lefty could have tried to sell Bert a lot of fun, exciting things that bert either didn't want or have any use for, then lefty would bring out something dull or boring (perhaps something he wasn't trying to sell) and Bert could have asked him if it was for sale.

I wonder how Cookie Monster would have rected if lefty tried to sell him something (like a cookie). I also wonder what would happen if Lefty tried to sell things to other characters. It would be funny if he tried to sell something to Sully, but wouldn't let Sully tell him whether he wanted to buy it (perhaps lefty could have been too much into his sales pitch to let Sully get a word in), or maybe he could have tried to sell something to Guy Smiley (one of the shows loudest characters, which would cayse lefty to make a lot of "Shhh!'s")

Censored

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
During the early years of the show it seems like it was common for performers to either pre-record or dub voices for multiple characters in the same skits, even if none of the characters were regularly seen, so there probably could have been a Bert and Lefty skit. Maybe Lefty could have tried to sell Bert a lot of fun, exciting things that bert either didn't want or have any use for, then lefty would bring out something dull or boring (perhaps something he wasn't trying to sell) and Bert could have asked him if it was for sale.

I wonder how Cookie Monster would have rected if lefty tried to sell him something (like a cookie). I also wonder what would happen if Lefty tried to sell things to other characters. It would be funny if he tried to sell something to Sully, but wouldn't let Sully tell him whether he wanted to buy it (perhaps lefty could have been too much into his sales pitch to let Sully get a word in), or maybe he could have tried to sell something to Guy Smiley (one of the shows loudest characters, which would cayse lefty to make a lot of "Shhh!'s")
Yeah, if they really wanted to have muppets of the same performer interact, they would have either dubbed or changed muppet performers. The Muppet Show changed Miss Piggy's performer sometimes to fit the skits with other characters. I think they just never believed that Lefty would have worked with Bert, Cookie Monster, or really any other characters besides Ernie (and Lefty's boss in a couple of skits). I think Lefty could have worked with the characters you named above in some of the ways that you said though. There really are no limits if you put your imagination to it.

There was actually a storybook that did have Lefty and Guy Smiley interact. I may have mentioned it before on here. Lefty sells Ernie a letter Z for the typical silly reasons of needing it to remember something that starts with Z. The sale is successful, but then Guy Smiley and his camera crew approach Lefty on the street and ask him a question that has Z as the answer. Lefty can't think of the letter so he runs down the street in panic after Ernie yelling, "Hey, kid! Come back with that letter!" I don't think this was ever a skit from the show.

Ziffel

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
only thing I can say on that is Bert probably wouldn't of fallen for such things as buying air.
Definitely he wouldn't have. And we know what would have happened had Lefty tried to sell Bert the four elephants picture. Bert would have said, "Oh yeah I see the four elephants, 1, 2, 3, 4 right there." No sale for Lefty. And with the invisible ice cream cone, Ernie's only question was what would be the benefit of having an ice cream cone you can't see. But he was gullible enough to believe the premise of an invisible ice cream cone. Bert, however, would certainly have just scoffed at Lefty and said, "There's no such thing as an invisible ice cream cone! Who do you think you're fooling?"
But.... the bottlecaps, paper clips, and pigeons opens up a whole different can of worms! Despite Bert's high intelligence, I think his big weakness for having an affection for these mundane things would have presented Lefty with a great opportunity to get some nickels out of Bert too! Bert also liked sticks. So even though Bert wouldn't have been naive enough to buy the empty box from Lefty so he could catch jellybeans from the sky, all Lefty would have to do is put STICKS in the box and voila! Bert forks over his nickel!

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Bert would have taken Lefty to Court for Being a Crook Citzains arrest

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Maybe lefty could have tried to sell something to The Count, but the count could have kept counting what lefty was selling. Lefty could have then told the count that he could have counted everything that he bought.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Lefty Sells Elmo his soul back that he sold to become the superstar he is

Ziffel

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Maybe lefty could have tried to sell something to The Count, but the count could have kept counting what lefty was selling. Lefty could have then told the count that he could have counted everything that he bought.
Hey there's another interesting thought! Lefty could have cleaned house selling things in bunches to The Count. And by gathering sticks he could have gotten nickels from both Bert and The Count. Bert would have bought them because he likes sticks and The Count would have bought them so he could count all the sticks! And hey how about Oscar? Since Oscar loves trash what a customer he could have been for Lefty! Like that broken scale that Ernie didn't end up purchasing. Since it's junk, Oscar very well may have been willing to buy it from Lefty. Wow Lefty sure was limiting his clientele too much with just Ernie! But then again, remember that skit where Ernie didn't buy the number 8 from Lefty because, as Sesame Mike reminded us, another salesman had already tapped Ernie out with the number 9. So I guess there were multiple shady salesmen and maybe they had an understanding with each other to each get certain customers. ("Okay, you can have that green guy in the trash can, I'll get the gullible orange kid, and you can have that counting fanatic, and you...."). :stick_out_tongue: