Best Dvd for Classic cartoons and puppet scenes?

jrod

Reaction score
I bought "Street We Live On," "What's the Name of that Song," and "25th Anniversary" last year and was somewhat disappointed because there was just not enough classic material. I did own "Put Down the Duckie" and that was pretty good; however, I am looking for a dvd that is like how sesame street was back in the day, also, are there any dvds out currently that has the pbs and ctw bumpers at the beginning and end? Any recommendations? :smile:

Cookie fan

Reaction score
Well, I can't say for sure if there's a Sesame Street DVD with all the great vintage stuff you mentioned- but I can give a few names of some DVDs or tapes that I found to be ok. There's the VHS "The best of Kermit" and "The best of Ernie and Bert", there were some good clips on those tapes. Also, "Learning about numbers" and "Learning about letters" I found to be very nostalgic except for the dialogue in between. But many of us are pinning our hopes on the box set DVD episodes carded for October.

jrod

Reaction score
How about "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street"? Does that run like an old episode?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
jrod said:
How about "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street"? Does that run like an old episode?
No. It is all new material, no inserts, though there are many scenes that could be inserts. However, everything from that special was made for the special, and never shown outside of it.

Some other videos and DVDs that are good for classic material include:

Monster Hits
I'm Glad I'm Me
Getting Ready to Read
Getting Ready for School
Sing Along
Sing Yourself Silly
Big Bird's Storytime
Bedtime Stories and Songs
Play-Along Games and Songs
Learning to Add and Subtract
The Alphabet Game
Rock & Roll

And if you're opinions on classic segments also includes stuff from the 1980s, then the following are good:

Count it Higher: Great Music Videos from Sesame Street
Elmo's Sing-Along Guessing Game
Dance-Along

Cookie fan

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Some other videos and DVDs that are good for classic material include:

Monster Hits
I'm Glad I'm Me
Getting Ready to Read
Getting Ready for School
Sing Along
Sing Yourself Silly
Big Bird's Storytime
Bedtime Stories and Songs
Play-Along Games and Songs
Learning to Add and Subtract
The Alphabet Game
Rock & Roll
Those are really good choices, i have never failed to look at them whenever i want a trip down memory lane. BTW, there was a very good audio cassette of the Sesame Street Muppets doing segments of the entire alphabet. Its a really old one (it was not made by SonyWonder like today- was it Random House?) Anyway, If anyone knows the title of this classic- please post it and by a long shot, is it still available today?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Cookie fan said:
BTW, there was a very good audio cassette of the Sesame Street Muppets doing segments of the entire alphabet. Its a really old one (it was not made by SonyWonder like today- was it Random House?) Anyway, If anyone knows the title of this classic- please post it and by a long shot, is it still available today?
It sounds to me like you are talking about the 1971 album The Muppet Alphabet Album. I am not sure what company originally released it, but Sony Wonder later re-released it under the title Sing the Alphabet. It is very classic quality, with various dialogue between songs and skits. It features Big Bird, Ernie, Bert, Cookie Monster, Grover, Herry Monster, Prairie Dawn, Oscar, Herbert Birdsfoot, Harvey Kneeslapper, Lefty the Salesman, Proffessor Hastings, Sherlock Hemlock, Guy Smiley, and the anything muppets. The re-release features Elmo singing ABC-DEF-GHI, and also cuts the closing theme and a line about the album being a record, but otherwise it's the same.

Cookie fan

Reaction score
YES! Thank you!

Dude, You are the greatest! Thank you very much. I haven't heard that cassette in YEARS. I'm gonna check it out and buy it. We always had it on until the tape stretched. I'm glad its released again. Thanks again.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Cookie fan said:
Dude, You are the greatest! Thank you very much. I haven't heard that cassette in YEARS. I'm gonna check it out and buy it. We always had it on until the tape stretched. I'm glad its released again. Thanks again.
I don't know if it's still in print, but every once in awhile I do find copies at my local Walmarts. I don't know if your local Walmart would have one, but you might want to check there.