Best Muppet musician?

That Announcer

Reaction score
With regards to Zoot

Say what you will about "Mahna Mahna" and "Halfway Down The Stairs", Zoot had the best Muppet Show song of all time in "Sax and Violence." It takes great timing to be able to play one note that well.

:cool: Your friendly neighborhood critic

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Well since, according to thatannouncer, we don't have to be limited to TMS Muppets, my pick just has to be the Wild Impresario from Ghost of Faffner Hall. He not only plays music but he composes as well, and above all he's passionate about it. Out of all of the "musician" characters Richard performed (Janice, Don Music, Gillis "The Maestro", etc), the Wild Imp was the only one that I got that feeling from, that absolute love of music.

thatannouncer said:
Say what you will about "Mahna Mahna" and "Halfway Down The Stairs", Zoot had the best Muppet Show song of all time in "Sax and Violence." It takes great timing to be able to play one note that well.
AND to be able to hold off of blowing up Mahna Mahna for as long as he did. I only hope Charlie Parker did forgive him!

-Kim

That Announcer

Reaction score
I wonder if certain Muppeteers had something special in them for performing musicians. Jerry Nelson and Jim Henson played a lot of musicians (Robin/Floyd/Gobo, Rowlf/Dr. Teeth/Kermit/Ernie respectively) and Frank's characters sang about as well as me (and that's not a good thing, trust me.) Richard had some decent characters as well. Dave not so much and Steve even less so.

"Sax and Violence" earned a special place in my heart precisely for the two reasons already listed- Zoot's impeccable timing and resistance to Mahna Mahna. Also, Zoot and Mahna Mahna might well be the two Muppets now most specifically associated to one sketch ("Sax and Violence" and "Mahna Mahna").

:cool: "Forgive me Charlie Parker, wherever you are!"