Big Bird Book Signing ... I Can't Wait!

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
I'm going to see him in Berkeley on May 16. That date happens to be the 13th anniversary of the tragedy ... :cry: :frown:

smcguire

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
Right after I get finished with "Joy of Peanuts, My life with Charlie Brown" and taking notes from Schulz about the art of cartooning, I'm hitting my Spinney book next!
Sorry to go off-topic here... but is that the exact title of the book, and if so, what is it and when was it published? I'm not familiar with it and I have an awful lots of Peanuts books. :smile: I couldn't find any references to a book with that title using Google... thanks!

--Scott McGuire

smcguire

Reaction score
http://www.peanutscollectorclub.com/

That's a website for some great Peanuts information.
Indeed it is. I contribute to it with some regularity. :smile:

I'm an idiot (shut up, folks!). It's called Peanuts Jubillee, My Life and Art with Charlie Brown.
Ah yes, I should have guessed that was what you meant. That's an oldie but a goodie.

And just to be marginally on-topic, I'll say that I'm looking forward to Carroll Spinney's book too!

--Scott

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by smcguire
I'll say that I'm looking forward to Carroll Spinney's book too!
It is terrific! I haven't begun reading it yet because I'm still breaking my way through Jubillee and taking notes, but just the knowledge that I only meant to read a few sentences and stopped myself a page and a half later is evidence that it's a GREAT book!

Great reading, and fun illustrations by Spinney himself!

FOZ

Super Scooter

Reaction score

Great reading, and fun illustrations by Spinney himself!
Yeah, he does do some great artwork. During the episode where Mr. Hooper died, Big Bird starts handing out pictures of everybody. All of those were drawn by Carroll Spinney.

I'm looking forward to reading this book. Amazon.com is selling it for 11.87, so, I'm hoping to order that later this month.

Hmm. Maybe I can convince my parents to order it today...

Squigiman

Reaction score
Back from NY signing

Hey gang,
I was fortunate enough to attend tonight's signing in New York city. It was a really great time. I was originally planning to catch a train and somehow navigate the city on my own, but upon finding out about it, my mom offerred to accompany me. She drove me there, and we both really enjoyed it. Mr. Spinney was very nice and friendly, and seemed to have a good sense of humor, as well. He even went into the voices of his two most famous characters. Most of the time was spent on questions, rather than reading from the book, which I thought was nice. When asked what was in his duffel bag, he ducked down, to pop up moments later, accompanied by our favorite contankerous green garbage-can dweller. He had fun talking to some of the kids there, and they really got a kick out of it. My mom thanked him as she explained the incredible impact his characters and Sesame Street, in general, have had on her, growing up with it, and going on to start a school for children with special needs, incorporating puppets into the teaching. Accompanying us was my Monkey puppet, who raised his hand for the very last question allowed, about advice for aspiring puppeteers. He suggested first and foremost to join the Puppeteers of America, and we both appreciated his input. Then the waiting began for the signings. Sitting in front of me, we met a fellow fan, just about a year older than myself, and chatted a while, expressing our mutual enjoyment of all things Muppet. In the end, not only did I come out of the experience with a new book, complete with a personalized autograph and a drawing, not to mention a photograph of the three of us (Me, Mr. Spinney, and Monkey, that is), but also a fond memory of coming in contact with a true living legend who has helped changed the lives of a few generations of children, for the better. Plus, I did it all, with my mom, making it all the more special. Now, upon writing this, though it doesn't address the book's content, being that I JUST got the book, maybe it belongs in the "Reviews" section. Ah, well. Take care.

-Squigiman

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
God, this makes me wanna go to one of the San Francisco signings even more! Unfortunately, my mom isn't up to the idea of driving up to the City just for a book signing. I am soooooooooooooooo dissapointed (Along with Cookie, Grover, Bert & Ernie, Big Bird is my fav SS muppet)

Thog

Reaction score
I can't wait to go tonight!!!!! And tomorrow!!!!
I hope he doesn't think I'm a stalker:embarrassed:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Be sure to ask him if he ever visits Muppet Central forums, and tell him we all love him and that "I" personally wish I was in his family!!

Foz