Big Bird in China

OldSchoolFan

Reaction score
my friend told me tonight that, due to how the chinese government was back then, every chinese person in that special were people that the government made be in it. and if they did anything to make China look bad, the Chinese government would shoot them on spot. something like that. i'm not sure if its true.

but i DO know that Big Bird In China is a great special

SSLFan

Reaction score
my friend told me tonight that, due to how the chinese government was back then, every chinese person in that special were people that the government made be in it. and if they did anything to make China look bad, the Chinese government would shoot them on spot. something like that. i'm not sure if its true.
Wow...

sunni818

Reaction score
Big Bird Goes to China

Does anyone remember this movie?

It came out in the early 80's and I remember having it taped off of tv on a VHS tape. I never see mention of the movie and I haven't seen it anywhere for sale, but I haven't looked that hard. Just curious if anyone saw and liked this movie.

Thanks!

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
It bored the heck out of me as a kid but now I've grown to appreciate it a lot more. One of Sesame Street's true classic productions. Not really big on laughs as much as Big Bird in Japan is but still a great travelogue. Mostly because it's so distinct from what we see on the show it works well.

Big Bird in China is in fact on DVD, but it's been OOP since Genius took on the Sesame Street license. Neither they or Warner re-issued the special for some reason. It goes for more than it should on eBay. But do be warned, one scene is edited out for political correctness reasons (where Big Bird is looking for someone who speaks "American") and someone at Sesame had Marty Robinson redub all of Telly's dialogue over Brain Meuhl's, it still feels seamless though despite a few jumps in the audio quality. Marty really did a great job with it. But I'd still say track it down if you can get it for a decent price despite the barebones presentation.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
you were BORED? WHAT? I enjoyed this special SOOOO much as a kid. I bought it on DVD a couples years ago. I also have Big Bird goes to Japan, which i never really cared for.

The monkey in BB in China was a great character... scary tho. I was afraid of him. I think the fact that he didn't talk at first scared me too... Kinda like how Jason or Micheal Myers scares people with their silence lol

But BB in China and Follow that Bird are the best in my Sesame DVD collection. I wish they made Don't Eat the Pictures