Big Bird's little bird troop

goob

Reaction score
This is driving me nuts! Remember Big Bird had a little group of kids in yellow birdie outfits that were his students... his little club that he would teach things to? What were they called? Oscar had a similar group. Live children dressed as trashy kids. ???

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Oscar had a group called the Grouchkateers, and wouldn't let Big Bird join, so he created the Birdkateers.

By the way, both are still around Sesame Street. :smile:

goob

Reaction score
Thanks! I was thinking Birdkateers but it didn't sound right. And I thought the Bird ones came first... but I guess Oscar is cooler, anyway.

ceecee

Reaction score
What was it that the Grouchketeers would say? Something about a "thumb in your ear"?

Did the Birdkateers have a phrase too?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
"How can you tell a Grouchkateer?"
"He's the one with the thumb in his ear!"

There may have been one for the Birdkateers, but I can't remember it.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, I knew the Grouchkateers came first. I remember them from when I was little and the Birkateers came a few years later. I have seen the Birdkateers in recent episodes, but I haven't seen too much of the Grouchkateers lately.

maxdrive

Reaction score
i jsut saw a epp yesterday with the bidkateers the one where elmo wished he was a bird big bird invited him to the meeting and they counted how many times elmo flew past them they got to 5 till elmo crashed into super grover hehehehe to be honest it was very funny because you havent seen super grover that much since they started the new format.

just out of curiousitt when you were little what did you want to be more

a birdkateer or a grouchkateer i wante dto be a grouchkateer they jsut seemed cooler to me probly being a boy and the fact they always got to be messy

SesameMike

Reaction score
Grouchkateers?

Were these "Grouchkateers"?

One day Oscar started his own school, and a bunch of 5-6 kids came up to Oscar's can. These kids looked perfectly normal, though perhaps a bit more disheveled than you might expect for attending class. Oscar yelled initially something like "You're a half-hour late", but I think Oscar suggested that in grouch school that was a good thing.

The kids settled down for class while a few of the adults looked on in curiosity. Oscar began with a series of questions, two of which I remember:

O:What do you all have in your lunch?
KIDS: (in virtual unison) Sour pickles!!
O:How much is two plus two?
KIDS: FIVE!!

Then Oscar had everyone sing the school song; the Alma Mater if you will: "I Love Trash." Next, Oscar went over the homework assignment, each student had to bring in something "good". The kids each bought in nice things, like flowers. Oscar got more and more frustrated with each item, and at the last item, which was a paper lunchbag full of cookies,

O: (in desperation) They're not chocolate chip, are they?
KID: Yes they are.

That was too much for Oscar. He then threw in the towel with "School's out. School's out forever." as the class he'd assembled broke up.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Back in episode #1041, Oscar had a "grouch club" where he asked kids of what annoys them. Maybe this was the Grouchkateers's origin.