Big News for Disney DVD

Chilly Down

Reaction score
BTW, I'm happy for people that they're going to be getting their DVDs, but I'm thoroughly disgusted with Disney for their reasoning: they want to soak people dry for money now and then make them buy the discs in 5 years all over again when a new format comes out.

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
Ol' Buddy Bert: (Gosh, that's fun to write. I feel like I'm Ernie now!): Thanks for telling me WHERE the cuts were. What were the cuts specifically OF?
Well...as far as I know there was a female black centaur serving one of the the other female centaurs.

There's a picture of her...here...

http://www.thememoryhole.org/arts/sunflower.htm

Here's what the IMDB had to say...

"The original "Pastoral Symphony" segment featured extremely politically-incorrect "Aunt Jamima"-type black girls who perform servant duties for the female centaurs. For the 1990 re-release, while some scenes were completely cut (one of the reasons why the movie required a new score), other cels were magnified so the black centaurs are off-screen. Not even the laserdisc special edition of Fantasia includes these scenes and Disney has gone to great lengths to deny these scenes ever existed. A brief account of this story and at least one actual cel photograph are presented in the book "Cartoon Confidential" by Jim Korkis and John Cawley (Malibu Graphics Press)."

I think the there were either black cherubims or centaurs who are unfolding the rug up to the throne. Having not seen it I can't tell for sure.

And Chilly, I completely agree with your assesement of Disney and their marketing strategies. I remember when Fantasia came out on video after the big 50 anniversary push. It was claimed that it would be the last time you would ever see the film in its "original" format. Of course, we know that it's not true.

I also remember when they released Pinocchio on video in the 90's and they advertised that it would be "for the last time this century".

Irritating.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Oh, OK. Thanks. That's the scene they showed the picture of earlier in this thread. I was thinking that I remembered the centaurs being, um, not clothed. But I KNOW I never saw the blackface centaurs before.

Glad we agree about their marketing, though I'm inclined to be less upset about the Fantasia thing. In 1991 when they decided that, they had no idea DVD was on the horizon and people would want a pristine copy in a few years. Frankly, I wish George Lucas would take BACK his "last time ever" statement regarding the original version of the classic Star Wars Trilogy on VHS back in 1995.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by wolfy
"sexual overtones" being noted in the clip ("Little Mermaid," "Lion King" to speak of two right off the top of my head).....with the centuars and nymphs scene it is the fact that the nymphs are nubile young girls.....didn't really have a lot of coverage over their breasts.
Um, yeah, but, all of these scenes are intact in the home video releases. I know what you're talking about in TLM and TLK, but they haven't been cut. You might want to check out www.snopes.com for clarification on that.

And there's nipplage ALL over Fantasia, and not just in the Pastoral. The scene edited in the Pastoral has to be something else.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ol' Buddy Bert
there was a female black centaur serving one of the the other female centaurs.
That's it! Now I know the reason. Thanks for posting that!

wolfy

Reaction score
Ummmm....I don't think that's a female black centaur, folks...

The females all have flowers covering their breast areas, and this seems to be a male.

Is it possible that this young man and the black cherubs doing what is basically servant work for whites the reason?

Seems to me that, in the photo of the shot Ol' Buddy Bert gave the web site for, the young centaur would be considered a kind of "shoe-shine boy" type of character, right?

Maybe it's just me...
wolfy

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Ummmm....I don't think that's a female black centaur, folks...

The females all have flowers covering their breast areas, and this seems to be a male.
Maybe the earrings and the bows in his/her hair were throw-offs.

scarecroe

Reaction score
The females all have flowers covering their breast areas
Look closer. There are other females seen without breast coverage.

kansasteen14

Reaction score
Actually I just watched this and yes there are bare centaurettes and there is black centaurette serving butnone of them are white so you cant say it's racist.:flirt:

wolfy

Reaction score
I still think Sunflower is actually a boy...yes, those "bows" can throw someone off, but look how many black males wear some kind of tie in their hair to make little pigtails. Seriously, I think this is supposed to be a guy...Has anyone ever asked the Disney company about his/her gender?
wolfy