Biting commentary on the state of Sesame Street today

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Okay, not sure what to make of this one. I just found this. The cartoon is really disturbing and disgusting, so I'll just warn you ahead of time.
http://www.invisiblespiders.com/display1.php?id=40

The commentary itself is funny though and makes a good point. There are days when I really miss the "ignorance" of the 1980s- back when not everyone was so concerned about political correctness- when kids watched Cookie Monster stuff himself with cookies and no one worried about kids getting fat from taking after him because they were too busy running around and burning energy like Ernie.:stick_out_tongue: Anyway, see what you think.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
it probably wouldn't be all that bad if it wasn't so gory like when he was trying to eat Guy Smilely at the bakery.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I'm tossed on this one. Obviously my affection for Sesame Street dictates that I resent this cartoon. But the editorial cartoonist in me sees the merit in taking an iconic symbol like Cookie and putting him in disturbing circumstances to make a point. You may find it dark and wrong, but the shock of it makes you consider the underlying message, which is what editorial cartoons are supposed to do.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
to add a little more it would be funny if he started chasing Mr. Hooper or somebody else saying I'm going to eat you but here you have him looking like he's dead witch he has been for more than 20 years. gees!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree more with what he's saying than his comic. Seems a bit like all the other SS violent cartoons I've seen over the years.

BTW, was "Biting commentary" ment as a pun?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
BTW, was "Biting commentary" ment as a pun?
Unintended, actually, but now that I think of it, it is pretty appropriate! :smile:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I for one do think it's sad changing the character of The Cookie Monster the way they are and have been. I have been wacthing Cookie since I was a toddler and it's almost like wacthing a best friend change. Hey I mean yes childhood obesity is a problem, but I very much doubt that if Cookie Monster becomes the veggie monster, that the problem would be fixed. I don't even think it would make a change to be honset. Didn't anyone learn from "new Coke" you just can't mess with a classic.

zanimum

Reaction score
He's always ate healthy, darn it! Ever since the 80s, he's had moderation of his diet, it's just that only now did the Workshop decide to promote it!

I mean seriously people, every episode he eats a frosting covered cookie in the Letter of the Day segments.

And plus, it gives the writers more plot options for Cookie, making him slightly less of a two-dimensional character.