Blacklight puppet hair ideas

maurakl

Reaction score
I am making some blacklight puppets for my church and am having a hard time finding anything pink or reddish that really glows for the insides of their mouths. What we have in there now, just doesn't glow. I am also having a hard time finding very many things for hair that really glow. I did find some cool yarn at Walmart that is white and kind of bumpy and just made some really cool hair for one of the puppets. I was looking at some chenille yarn that people use for fly fishing lures. It looked pretty cool, but I haven't found any in person, just online so far. Does anyone know of a specific item at a nationwide store or anything like that, that they have found that really glows? We have found orange and yellow blacklight puppet fleece and I did find some white regular fleece, again at Walmart, that glows, but we can't seem to find anything that glows pink. Any ideas or specific places I could get something like this? Thanks! I guess we could paint inside the mouths, but I would really prefer a fabric like felt or fleece.

maurakl

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I'm a little confused :confused: because the thread is titled "black puppet hair" but you're asking about mouth materials....but have you considered having the mouths black and just the tongue or "tonsils" a flourescent colour? Other than that if you want a colour outside of the "basics" (yellow, green, orange, blue, and red if you're lucky) you'll probably need to use paint. Most professional companies who have a wide range of colour in their black light puppets/props have to go this route. Myself, I've used Wildfire and Liquidtex paints.

I hope that's a little helpful.

maurakl

Reaction score
Thanks!

Yes, that does help and yes my post was confusing :smile: Thanks for your advice and experience. I was looking for info for both things.

maurakl

DPuppets

Reaction score
There is blacklight felt that is white that glows really well. Also you can do a dark mouth as mention also you can just use fun foam and paint it with florescent paint. Walmart will have blacklight spray paint. That works well. Also you can hit some fabric stores and just take a mini blacklight and just check out some fabrics they have.

DPuppets

Reaction score
Forgot to give you this. Try this site they have blacklight everything. www.glogames.com they have rope, fabric, and all sorts of other stuff.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
An option for hair is to pattern or sculpt foam and then spray paint it. There's also a lot of wigs you can use. I've also found tubes that glow at hardware stores. Try going shopping with a mini blacklight (available at novelty shops) like DPuppets suggested and see what sorts of things glow.