Bob Barker, host of "The Price is Right" for 34 years, dead at 99

WazzupMyBoyz

Reaction score
It is with heavy heart that we announce the passing of Bob Barker, who died last Saturday of natural causes. He was 99.
Barker was the host of the CBS TV game show, The Price is Right, from September 1972 to June 2007, spanning 34 years on the show until handing power to world-famous comedian Drew Carey that October. Carey still hosts the show to this day.

Tell us your favorite moments by Bob in the replies.

groverandgrapes

Reaction score
I never watched much of "the price is right" but I do recall him on a episode of "how I met your mother".

Rest in peace.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I've enjoyed the show since the 1970s, and still enjoy it to this day. I got hooked on the show around the same time I was initially watching Sesame Street.

Bob was a very remarkable host. Perhaps my #1 favorite game show host of all time. I especially enjoyed his climactic reveals of the end results, particularly during playings of Spelling Bee when a contestant needed the winning letter, and he raised the card slowly to his face before he revealed the result (usually the losing letter - usually a "C" or an "A", if the contestant needed an "R", or an "A" if the contestant needed a "C"). I also found it entertaining whenever Bob flipped the losing card rapidly without suspense like in an early 2006 playing (it seems as if in many of those cases, the losing card was an "R").

Bob Barker and Guy Smiley were the two individuals (I know Guy is a fictional character) that paved the way for my interest in game shows, which grew in the 1980s and peaked during the transition to the 1990s due to the major broadcast networks having downsized its daytime game shows significantly.

It's quite amazing that Price is entering its 52nd season, and with no end in sight.

I wonder if Drew will continue to use the "spay or neuter your pets" closing line now that Bob is deceased?

Last edited:

ASD Mind

Reaction score
Having to make a correction here; it was 35 years that Bob Barker was at the hosting helm of the still-current incarnation of The Price Is Right, a Mark Goodson-Bill Todman Production, their catalog since getting bought up by Fremantle Media. In the early years of America Online, I did get to speak with him a handful of times in Instant Message chats, as well as then announcer Rod Roddy (1937-2003). The company that supplied the theme music and its music cue suites; Score Productions, Inc. would have been a consistent hit maker if they had been a recording band during the years of 1972 to 1983, the years I consider the cream of the crop for their music cue material. I have a Change.org petition running for anyone interested that is about getting all of that classic music cue material from that aforementioned eleven year time frame released to a stereo compact disc box set. Side note: Bill Cullen hosted the very first incarnation of The Price Is Right from 1956 to 1964, first on NBC, then on ABC.

WazzupMyBoyz

Reaction score
Having to make a correction here; it was 35 years that Bob Barker was at the hosting helm of the still-current incarnation of The Price Is Right, a Mark Goodson-Bill Todman Production, their catalog since getting bought up by Fremantle Media. In the early years of America Online, I did get to speak with him a handful of times in Instant Message chats, as well as then announcer Rod Roddy (1937-2003). The company that supplied the theme music and its music cue suites; Score Productions, Inc. would have been a consistent hit maker if they had been a recording band during the years of 1972 to 1983, the years I consider the cream of the crop for their music cue material. I have a Change.org petition running for anyone interested that is about getting all of that classic music cue material from that aforementioned eleven year time frame released to a stereo compact disc box set. Side note: Bill Cullen hosted the very first incarnation of The Price Is Right from 1956 to 1964, first on NBC, then on ABC.
But September 2007 would be the 35-year mark. Barker stopped hosting in June, so that was 34 years.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
But September 2007 would be the 35-year mark. Barker stopped hosting in June, so that was 34 years.
In terms of taping, he actually stopped hosting in May 2007.

Also, I did learn back in September the cause of Bob's death. He had Alzheimer's.