Boiling fur help.

Adam Kreutinger

Reaction score
The Borsa pattern comes with notes on boiling fur but the are not that helpful. They just say boil the fur. I understand that it can vary depending on to what type of fur you use. But are you suppose to just dip the fur in boiling water. Does it take an hour or ten minutes? Are you suppose to put put it in warm water then boil the water with the fur in the pot?

Any tips would be helpful.

~Adam

Puppetsandthat

Reaction score
Hi Adam,
I boil the fur in the washing machine on it's hottest setting for about an hour you get a great matted texture doing this.

Adam Kreutinger

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks. I'll try it. When you did it did u wash the fabric first then sew the puppet? Or did u sew all the fur then wash it, then finish the puppet?

Puppetsandthat

Reaction score
i tend to build most of the puppet first before boiling it then finish it when it's dry

TML

Reaction score

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
For large scaled furs- boil four pots of water and carefully pour into a tub. BE CAREFUL! Then simply place the fur into the tub and let sit- make certain the whole fur is submersed. Like the previous post make certain you do test strips.

If you do the washing the fur in hot water option make certain you do this method on only high end furs- you do it on cheap fur and the end result will be the fur breaking apart and detaching from the weaved fabric underneath.

Adam Kreutinger

Reaction score
Do you ring the water out then hang dry it, after it was boiled? or do you hang it dripping wet? I also heard something about having the rub the fur while it is wet for the texture.... is this necessary?

~Adam

TML

Reaction score
Yes, you ring it out which mats it down. Then I kinda shake it out like a dog does and depending on how long you want it, I combed it out a bit for longer strands or left it for a tighter pile, then hang it to dry.

FUZZYRED

Reaction score
I just brought red fur from Spotlight (I live in Austraila), will Spotlight fur work as well? Cause I'm worried and don't want ruin it.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
All the fur I own is form spotlight, although I haven't ever boiled fur I can tell you that the more expensive it was, the better it will hold up in general. Spotlight tends to be a place where you get what you pay for with fur.