1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Boober Fraggle Replica

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by ashkent, Nov 10, 2012.

1. ashkent

ashkent Active Member

This kind of came about by accident but these are the first pictures of my Boober Fraggle replica so far. Way back when i first started hunting around for puppet patterns I came across something that was meant to be the head pattern for Scooter. I traced it, cut it out then it sat in a drawer for a few months.

When i found it, and while i was wait for some other items to dry or dye (can't remember which) I decided to glue the foam skull together for the crack. When i did, and because the foam i was using was a light blue colour, I suddenly realised how much it looked like Boober. I made a couple of adjustments, re-glued it and then have been working on it in between other projects. I still have to finish off the mouth, cap and add some hand rods, but other than that he is pretty much done.

See what you think of him.

Just as a note, the fleece used for his skin is actually Tilda Fleece which i have found is very similar to Antron Fleece in its seam hiding ability when done right. For me in the UK it is also easier to get hold of than Antron Fleece too. On the close up face shot, there is actually a seam runs right down the centre but it really is invisible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

WOW!!

I envy you people who can build puppets.
  3. Mister Muppet

Mister Muppet Well-Known Member

That is AWESOME

I agree with muppet fan 123 I envy you guys who can build puppets
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  4. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

That is really nice!

Where did you get the fur? Did you dye, boil, etc?
  5. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

I LOVE it! Absolutely love it!

How did you make the scarf?
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  6. ashkent

ashkent Active Member

Thanks guys... To me, anyone can make a replica puppet as long as they are prepared to fail a few times before they get it right. Most of the puppets I have made didnt have a pattern so i started with something really basic then refined it until it looked right.

The fur came from a company in Israel I get most of my fur from...I found them here on Ebay so i didn't have to do anything with it. They have been really reliable, although the packaging they use is sometimes a bit worse for wear when it arrives, which is more than likely down to our shoddy postal service. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/specialfabrics

The scarf is simply a long thin piece of brown felt fabric and i cut the ends into a frayed look.
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  7. Bliffenstimmers

Bliffenstimmers Active Member

This Boober looks wonderful! Not just like the original, but it still feels very Muppety. Hope you find him a good hat!
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  8. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

LIKE LIKE LIKE!

I love your incarnation of Boober. Really nice.
    GopherCoffee and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  9. Plaid Fraggle

Plaid Fraggle Well-Known Member

He's SO CUTE. Dang! Wonderful job!!

That dumb hat, I'm working on a Boober myself, and that is the LAST thing I'll be making, haha. :sigh: [excuse to use a Boober smiley.] Nooot looking forward to it. I can't wait to hear what kind of luck you have with the rest of the project :)
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  10. ashkent

ashkent Active Member

I've pretty much left the hat til last for the same reason. lol. I've got some cord material which looks right...just need to get the right shape for the hat itself now.
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  11. lifelongfan

lifelongfan New Member

I used a large circle then made alot of folds and sewed it to the middle on the outside then gathered it and turned the gather to the inside and attached the bill and a button covered in the same felt. :confused:That probably made no sense.
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  12. ashkent

ashkent Active Member

No, actually I know exactly what you mean lol.
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  13. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I never understood why Boober doesn't have eyes. But that's a whole other discussion.

FANTASTIC JOB on Boober! I really love it! I wish I had my own Boober replica.:sigh:
    You are fantastic. Keep us updated on any other puppets you make!
  14. ashkent

ashkent Active Member

Thanks very much. I never understand Boober not having eyes either, but i think it is just one of those things you never questioned as a child. It was just accepted.

I am just finalising the website for my own puppet building business I'm starting up in the UK. It should be up and running in about a week's time. I will be updating my blog there with original puppets which will be for sale as well as any replicas I make for my personal collection.

I have one original puppet complete and will be posting his pictures here some time next week too so keep an eye out for it.
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  15. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Awesome!! I love your Boober Fraggle replica!!!
    Keep it up! :sigh:
  16. crazy chris

crazy chris Well-Known Member

AWESOME WORK!!

cc
  17. ashkent

ashkent Active Member

Well, almost a year later and here is my reworked Boober replica now complete with a cap and his tale, a new head and more hair. The only thing he doesn't have in these pictures is his scarf.

There are still a couple of things I'm not perfectly happy with but on the whole he improved on my original replica.

Here are the pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Great rebuild! :sigh:
    ashkent likes this.
  19. KissesToKermie

KissesToKermie Well-Known Member

Allow me to be the second member to congratulate and compliment this excellent design! It looks almost EXACTLY like Boober. Wonderful work man, this is perfection and the hard work you put into it definitely paid off!
    GopherCoffee and ashkent like this.
  20. Plaid Fraggle

Plaid Fraggle Well-Known Member

I love it :D So good!! You should be absolutely proud :)
    GopherCoffee and ashkent like this.