Books inspired by Follow that Bird

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have seen a few sesame street storybooks that were inspired by Sesame Street Preesents Follow That Bird.

One of them is "a day at the farm". this is inspired by big birds visit to the kids (ruthie and floyd) who lived on a farm. The only major difference between this and the sequence in the movie (well, besides the lack of a song) is that big bird doesn't leave because of Miss Finch. He leaves on his own. oddly eough, at the beginning it just says that he was on his way home from sesame street, without saying why, but there is an out-of-place mention of the dodos at one point.

The other one is called "big bird goes to the carnival" (i think thats the title. i haven't seen it in a long time). i think you can probably guess what part of the movie this book is inspired by. However, this is more different than in the movie. In this book, the carnival is closer to sesame street, and it is one of the few times that mr. snuffleupagus being "imaginary" is actually a good thing.

The book begins with big bird planning on going to the carnival, and he tells oscar that he is going to ask mr. snuffleupagus to go with him, and after oscar comments that big bird is the only person on sesame street to eve see mr. snuffleupagus, big bird invites oscar to come to snuffys cave with him, but oscar chooses not to. while at snuffys cave, snuffy says that he has to practice for something and can't go. so big bird goes to the carnival by himself, and eventually he meets the sleaze brothers (they look similar to how they look in the movie, except that sam had a mustache) who decide to let him perform in a show at the carnival. They paint big bird blue, big bird performs, then they lock him in a giant bird cage (not one on their truck). later that night, after the carnival closes, snuffy decides to go look for big bird at the carnival, and he finds big bird in a cage. However, snuffy learned a new trick that he had wanted to do, so when the sleaze brothers count their money, he uses his snuffle to get the keys away from them without being caught. when big bird goes home, he tells everybody about what happened, but they (or at least oscar) don't beleive him, because it involved snuffy.

where there any more books inspired by the movie?

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I have seen a few sesame street storybooks that were inspired by Sesame Street Preesents Follow That Bird.

One of them is "a day at the farm". this is inspired by big birds visit to the kids (ruthie and floyd) who lived on a farm. The only major difference between this and the sequence in the movie (well, besides the lack of a song) is that big bird doesn't leave because of Miss Finch. He leaves on his own. oddly eough, at the beginning it just says that he was on his way home from sesame street, without saying why, but there is an out-of-place mention of the dodos at one point.

I have this book, a day on the farm, thay belong to my Talking Big Bird, He still works.... a little! :big_grin: but I use to lission to him ALOT so thats probbly why! hehe :smirk:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
I have this book, a day on the farm, thay belong to my Talking Big Bird, He still works.... a little! :big_grin: but I use to lission to him ALOT so thats probbly why! hehe :smirk:
yeah, I knew that, but I also know that at least some of them were released as their own books as well.

AAO

Reaction score
There's one book where Count Von Count counts all through the book and everyone is looking for Big Bird - He' at the Dodo's - Then he's under a haystack - In a parade - and so on...Then there's one more I have where Big Bird is in the circus?? Something like that...But there's a small print in the front of the book that says, "Based on the film 'Follow That Bird'"...so that's a dead give away! LOL

minor muppetz

Reaction score
AAO said:
There's one book where Count Von Count counts all through the book and everyone is looking for Big Bird - He' at the Dodo's - Then he's under a haystack - In a parade - and so on...
Is that the Follow That Bird storybook or a different book?

And I believe that I already mentioned the circus book.