Bugs Bunny Follies

Xerus

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen this live stage show called Bugs Bunny Follies? I remember going when I was a kid in the 70's. It had a human host along with the famous Looney Tunes as live costumed performers and Mel Blanc did the voices. They were celebrating Porky Pig's birthday. Bugs was organizing the party and Daffy was leading a hat and cane chorus line with real dancing girls.

The human host asked the kids in the audience to shout, "SURPRISE!" to Porky the minute he steps in. And they had practice by looking at a screen and seeing a cartoon Porky coming through the door.

This show also starred Batman and Robin. They heard that the Joker, Penguin, Riddler, and Catwoman were planning on ruining the party and they tried to stop them, but the villains froze them into statues. Then they started work on ruining the party by doing stuff like putting sneezing powder in the cake and planning on squirting everyone with a water bazooka.

Then it showed some of the Looney Tunes doing crazy things like Sylvester trying to trick Tweety into being part of the cake recipe and the Coyote trying to catch the Road Runner with an Acme netting machine but ended up catching the Coyote instead.

Yosemite Sam and Foghorn Leghorn were having a shooting contest. The screen showed a cartoon target. Sam tried shooting, but missed the bullseye. But Foghorn made one shot and ended up shooting 5 bullets at the bullseye. Then it showed a cartoon bottle on a fence. Sam ended up missing, but Foghorn managed to shoot it. Sam got so angry, he started shooting up the place chasing Foghorn and the host away and Sam left the stage too.

And I remember Speedy Gonzales doing a Mexican musical number as well.

Soon, it was party time and they all had fun. After they all sang their birthday song to Porky, Road Runner came in with a birthday card for Porky. But the Coyote scared the Road Runner away and Foghorn, Tweety, and Speedy left the stage to go after him.

And when they played pin the tail on the donkey. The host asked the kids to tell them whether they were hot or cold. Sylvester ended up pinning the donkey's ear. The Coyote didn't pin anything at all for he didn't know the difference between hot or cold. Porky ended up pinning the sky next to the donkey's end. And Daffy won by pinning it in the right place. And then Yosemite ended up pinning Daffy's behind causing him to scream and run away. And Sam became grumpy that he lost again.

Then the villains plans started with everyone sneezing after eating the cake and the Riddler sneaking from behind the stage and squirting everyone. The party was totally ruined and Porky became sad.

Soon Wonder Woman came and found a way to unfreeze Batman and Robin and they brought in a weapon to get rid of the villains. The Tasmanian Devil! He ended up chasing the bad guys away and the Looney Tunes came back out to recelebrate Porky's birthday. That was a really great show I remember from my youth. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There are some athiests at Whoserville who worship Bugs Bunny.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This stage show sounds a bit weird. I mena, Yosimite Sam at a birthday party for Porky (I would expect Bugs there, even though he didn't normally appear with Porky, but Sam?), and appearances by Batman characters? Odd....

Xerus

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
This stage show sounds a bit weird. I mena, Yosimite Sam at a birthday party for Porky (I would expect Bugs there, even though he didn't normally appear with Porky, but Sam?), and appearances by Batman characters? Odd....
Yes, I was too surprised at some stuff. Like Batman, Robin, and Wonder Woman starring with the Looney Tunes. I guess they wanted to put in superhero action for the big kids as well as Looney Tunes fun for the little kids.

And as I remember, Sam didn't look like he was having a good time at all at Porky's party. Especially when Foghorn beat him in a shooting contest and how Sam ended up pinning the tail on Daffy.

Xerus

Reaction score
Here's an old commercial I just found about that great Bugs Bunny show. On here, it's renamed Bugs Bunny Meets the Superheroes. But you can still see the word, Follies, lit up on the stage.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I remember this show! Never got to see it, but they played at several New York venues like the Felt Forum and Nassau Colosseum.
Another Looney Tunes show had the characters on ice skates. All good stuff. 8)