Building Hand Puppet for Circus, Need Help

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Hello all. I was recently contacted by a traveling circus and was hired to build three hand puppets for them to be performed by a walk around puppet stage before and during perfomances. One will be a caricature of the circus' star clown, another of an organ grinder monkey, and the third is of a harlequin style jester. I want these to be hand puppets, and at least one (probably the caricature clown) to have a practical hand that will be operated by the puppeteer inside the booth with his own hand, like Ernie. I have a few stipulations about the puppets, since they are being used by a traveling venue that entertains both in and outside and in front of a large audience:

1) The puppets MUST be large and colorful so that audience members sitting in the back bleacher seats can see them from the one ring stage.

2) The puppets MUST be durable to withstand wear and tear of many many shows, both inside the closed tent, AND outside the tent before the main performance.

3) The puppets MUST be light weight and easy to manipulate, since performers in the show who haven't used puppets at all will be learning how to perform with them for the first time.

4) The puppets MUST be packable, no extra things that could easily snap and or break off while they're being packed away in their trunk.

What concerns me most is the durability. Yes, I know that all things, no matter how well made, will break down in time because that is the nature of all things. HOWEVER, I want to make these puppets as durable as possible so that the circus can use them for as long as possible before new ones will be built. I'd like Ravagefrackle, Bucky Beaver, and anyone else who has a good deal of experience making highly durable puppets for inside and outside venues to help me out. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you all and have a Merry Christmas,
Marc

robinthecrow

Reaction score
Making duplicate copies of the same puppets are usually good for durability. That and to maintain and give them TLC occassionally... unless you wanted the puppets to have the least amount of mainteance (sp?)

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
sorry for the lack of a reply here, i have been sick, and away from my computer.

any how, it would be helpful to know what the puppet needs to do,

color?size?

in the end there isnt much you can do to make it last to long, hopefully your performer will treat the puppet right, and do his or her best to maintain it while it is being used