Can Gelflings really fly?

Redsonga

Reaction score
It seems that their wings are more kite like, so maybe they could soar on strong crosswinds, but it doesn't seem like they are the flapping sort...Hmm...I'm just researching to see what everyone thinks :smile:.

(And yes, I already know the boys don't have wings and would fall like a bag of nails *lol*:coy:)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's a good point, they do seem more like soaring.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Maybe they're more like Buzz Lightyear. They're not flying, they're falling with style! :wink:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Maybe they're more like Buzz Lightyear. They're not flying, they're falling with style! :wink:
Too true, most of all when you don't have any wind around (in the case of both 'flying' scenes in the movie)

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
It doesn't look as though such small wings should be able to support flying relative to the size of (what I assume is) the average Gelfling. Gliding, yes. It really just seemed as though the wings were only handy in breaking a fall.

Redsonga

Reaction score
It doesn't look as though such small wings should be able to support flying relative to the size of (what I assume is) the average Gelfling. Gliding, yes. It really just seemed as though the wings were only handy in breaking a fall.
Well, they may be big in length but at least when they are young they don't look that heavy at all. And lets not forget many birds and insects in the real world should not be able to fly or stay in the air and yet they do...In a fantasy world I don't see why there would not be the same sort of loopholes :smile:.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
That's true. It is a fantasy movie and I suppose anything can happen. Though given the visuals of the movie, I don't think there is any support for sustained flight.

Somehow, this reminds me of one of the professors at my college. :stick_out_tongue:

Redsonga

Reaction score
That's true. It is a fantasy movie and I suppose anything can happen. Though given the visuals of the movie, I don't think there is any support for sustained flight.

Somehow, this reminds me of one of the professors at my college. :stick_out_tongue:
Here is another idea: They are still children in the movie IMHO, so maybe the wings grow much larger as they age?

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
In the comic adaption of the film, Kira mentions that female gelflings used to be able to fly before the Great Conjunction but now they can only glide.

Redsonga

Reaction score
In the comic adaption of the film, Kira mentions that female gelflings used to be able to fly before the Great Conjunction but now they can only glide.
I wonder if the comic is really canon though?:embarrassed: I've never known of any film where it was...