Cantus' eyes

Slackbot

Reaction score
Cantus' vision

Cantus always seems to be gazing off into the distance. It seems to me that even when he's talking to someone he's not really looking at them. I was wondering if we've seen any instances of his doing anything that would require that he actually look at something, for instance reading, noticing a person's expression, etc. I can't think of any, and in fact it seems as though he gets most of his cues from sound rather than vision.

I've got a theory about this, but first I'd like to see if those who know the series better than I do can point out anything I've missed.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
It seems as if I've seen him make eye contact when he has something specific to say to a specific person.
For example in "The Minstrels," he looks Red right in the eyes when he tells her she shouldn't have taken his pipe, when he tells her to go get it (she says the gorg will kill her and he says "Says Who," and he looks he in the eye when he tells her she's always had a song, etc. Then in "Mokey and the Mintrels," he looks around when he's waxing about what Minstresl are, but when Mokey says she's a failure and he says "Mokey, you're not a minstrel but you're not a failure either," he makes eye contact.

Collgoff

Reaction score
Well the eyes of Cantus have something to tell and those eyes are the eyes of wistdom.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I didn't phrase my question very clearly, but I was trying to avoid guiding the answers. Mainly, what I'm trying to find out is whether there's any evidence that Cantus has decent vision.

Without my glasses I'm legally blind. I can read something without my glasses if it's very close, although my astigmatism is making that less and less comfortable. Back when I performed in a RHPS cast I preferred to do so wearing contacts, but I could "fly blind" if need be because I know the show backwards and forwards and don't really need to see more than the blurs that are the other performers; I have the soundtrack to tell me what to do. However, if someone held up a cue card or made a face at me I wouldn't be able to see it. If someone held up a hand across the room I could tell which hand it was, but I probably couldn't tell how many fingers they were holding up.

If we'd seen Cantus read something, or even identify something or someone a distance away with no other clues, that'd show to me that he has at least decent vision for a cave critter. I can't think of any examples, though. And the way he always seems to be gazing into the distance does seem to imply that he doesn't rely very heavily on vision.

Collgoff

Reaction score
Eyes of eyes!

I didn't phrase my question very clearly, but I was trying to avoid guiding the answers. Mainly, what I'm trying to find out is whether there's any evidence that Cantus has decent vision.

Without my glasses I'm legally blind. I can read something without my glasses if it's very close, although my astigmatism is making that less and less comfortable. Back when I performed in a RHPS cast I preferred to do so wearing contacts, but I could "fly blind" if need be because I know the show backwards and forwards and don't really need to see more than the blurs that are the other performers; I have the soundtrack to tell me what to do. However, if someone held up a cue card or made a face at me I wouldn't be able to see it. If someone held up a hand across the room I could tell which hand it was, but I probably couldn't tell how many fingers they were holding up.

If we'd seen Cantus read something, or even identify something or someone a distance away with no other clues, that'd show to me that he has at least decent vision for a cave critter. I can't think of any examples, though. And the way he always seems to be gazing into the distance does seem to imply that he doesn't rely very heavily on vision.
I do under stand all that!
Because I'm leglly blind myself and I do where glasses too for reading.:excited:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Well, you know how people sort of gaze away when they are listening intensely to something -- I always figured he was busy listening to all the things that he can listen to, and wasn't so bothered about the visual world. If that makes sense?

Collgoff

Reaction score
It makes good sense to me!

Well, you know how people sort of gaze away when they are listening intensely to something -- I always figured he was busy listening to all the things that he can listen to, and wasn't so bothered about the visual world. If that makes sense?
It dose make sense to me!:wisdom:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Yes, that does make sense, and it fits well with Cantus' character. Of course he, of all people, would be more focused on the sounds around himself than the sights, although he doesn't completely ignore visuals, as we saw in Junior Faces the Music.

I've got an idea in mind, and I'm trying to see if it holds water. So far, it looks like it will, but I think that to be sure I'll have to re-watch all of his episodes. It'll be hard, but I'm willing to suffer for my craft. :wink:

Collgoff

Reaction score
Understand most of it be the end confusing.

Yes, that does make sense, and it fits well with Cantus' character. Of course he, of all people, would be more focused on the sounds around himself than the sights, although he doesn't completely ignore visuals, as we saw in Junior Faces the Music.

I've got an idea in mind, and I'm trying to see if it holds water. So far, it looks like it will, but I think that to be sure I'll have to re-watch all of his episodes. It'll be hard, but I'm willing to suffer for my craft. :wink:
Well I do understand most of it but the end of it was a little bit confusing but it's good.:smile::busy:

Beauregard

Reaction score

You can always fanfiction it up and take the risk that no one will go check (although when I wrote one about Beauregard's origins someone told me that there was a picture-book about that! So clearly one must check every avenue before setting up spin-off fiction! HA!)