Captain Kangaroo's Passing

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I can remember watching this show when I was waiting on the bus to come carry me to preschool. I still use the Gourmet Hot Dog recipe that was shown on that show. Mmm...

And who can forget the expression on his face when Mr. Moose would drop the ping pong balls on his head!! HA!

Whatever

Reaction score
I remember watching this, but I don't remember much about it. Still, it's sad that he's gone.

electricmayhem

Reaction score
:cry:

Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, and Captain Kangaroo were staples of my childhood.

Fozzie

Reaction score
I heard about this the other day, man that is sad.

guysmiley4ever

Reaction score
nooo!!! not ray rayner too!

Chilly Down said:
It's been a rough week for childhood icons. Ray Rayner also passed away this week.
:cry: golly, i wanted to post on this thread because i missed captain kangaroo. wow, i didn't hear anything about ray rayner. i can't believe it!
i grew up watching chicago shows, loved bozo and gigglesnort.
the bozo show was a favorite and i've watched it just as long as sesame street and captain kangaroo. :sympathy:

it's always so sad to hear when these great people leave us, but a good feeling remains when we thing about the joy that they gave us.
they were wonderful men and will remain in my heart.
hopefully, these show will be played again someday, so the kids of today can enjoy them as well.
thanks again mr. rayner and captain kangaroo! :flirt:

Zelda Rose

Reaction score
Childhood Icons

Jim Henson
Mr. Rodgers
Capt. Kangaroo/Clarabell The clown (Bob K. was the first Clarabell the clown for those who did't know it)
Bob Hope
Sammy Davis Jr.
Elvis
Barry White

I know, a strange mix, but this was a lot of my childhood. I'm sure that there are about a hundred people that I missed, but at this time these names were all I could think of............but when The Capt. died........that was really and truly the end of my childhood. :cry:

Baby Rowlf

Reaction score
>.< Ow.

This hurts. This really really hurts. Not only did I grow up watching Captain Kangaroo when I was young, but my mother was the animal handler for the show in the early 60s, and was very close to the entire cast.

Ah well. I guess it all evens out. My mom's dead too, so I guess they can meet up again on the other side.

It sucks though because it's times like this that I really wish she was still alive.

dbarrie

Reaction score
Have any of you heard a Christmas recording called "The Littlest Snowman"? That's the greatest memory I have of Captain Kangaroo. He narrated this cute and emotional story/song on a CBS record called "The First Christmas Record for Children," featuring various artists from the 1950s (e.g. Rosemary Clooney, Mitch Miller, Doris Day, Gene Autry, Red Skelton, etc.). The story was about this tiny snowman had a red candy heart.

I unfortunately didn't watch his show much. It was on TV when I was a kid but I somehow didn't catch it. I am now in my 30s, and it was during the mid-1970s that I started playing this Christmas album, and it was one of the first ones I remember having. I don't have this record anymore, but I managed to download the Captain's track, and I also have some of the other ones on CD. It brings back warm and fuzzy memories of Christmases past.

OI MuppetFan

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Bob Keeshan aka Captain Kangaroo RIP

:sympathy: RIP Bob.You brought smiles to millions,whether thru your stories or standing under a flood of ping-pong balls.Talking to Mr. Moose,Mr.Bunny,Mr.Greenjeans.I miss you deeply.God Bless You,Captain Kangaroo! :cry:

Rowlf the dog

Reaction score
If my own father had not died six days before Bob Keeshan I think I would have been devastated. As it was I was numb.
Bob Keeshan was my personal favorite show as a small child and I feel like I have lost a family member. It is almost a year later and the thought of his death still makes me sad. I haven't read all the posts that you have all put up and don't know what your comments are, but I am sure there is nothing I could post that would make anyone feel any better about it.

"Remember it's another be good to mother day."
Rowlf the dog :sympathy:
Now this little icon seems so appropriate