Caroll Spinney Book Signing in SF

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I just met Caroll Spinney! It was quite an eventful day. He brought out Oscar, but of course Big Bird had some work to do over on Sesame Street so he couldn't make it. Fine with me because I really like Oscar.

Anyway, he spoke of various stories (all are likely in the book) but the funniest part is who was there. Brian, the head of the Bay Area Puppet Guild, was chatting with some man who I found familiar. At first I thought he was a member who I hadn't really spoken with, but I came to find out it was Dave Goelz. Oh, my. Well, we chatted for a minute. I was rather nervous, but he was a really cool guy. Almost got a picture taken with him, but he was getting mobbed by other fans and wanted to diffuse the situation because this was Caroll's day. He did mention visiting Muppet Central and enjoying it very much. He told me that he heard about the Henson sale a couple of minutes before surfing over here and we hadn't put it on the main page yet. He surfed around the site and came back a couple minutes later and it was up! He was quite complimentary of Phillip's swiftness in posting the article. He also complimented the new look. That made my day!:concern:

Caroll had heard of us too, but doesn't own a computer. LOL! Even though he has a beautiful site for his book and another fan site out there. He will also be selling prints soon. They will be original works containing Big Bird. He didn't elaborate, but it's definitely worth checking out! :wink:

I didn't get a picture with Oscar, but I got one with Spinney and that's enough for me. Oscar wasn't especially grouchy today, but he did frighten one child. LOL! He went away for a while and came back later. It was very cute. Oscar told one kid that even a smile like his could make a grouch happy. :grouchy:

Dave and Caroll also spoke of remembering Jim Henson today. The whole experience was very moving. Glad I made this signing. I hope there is another fest soon. I haven't stopped smiling since 12:30 today! :smile:

scarecroe

Reaction score
Sounds like fun, and what a treat that Dave was there too!

I thought it was particularly cool to hear that Caroll wrote the book out entirely in longhand.

I was wondering about his art. I meant to ask him if he ever thought of putting a book together containing his work. Or better yet, an entire book featuring artwork from Sesame staff, kids, celebrities and whoever in a Sesame theme.... much like the art exhibit of a similar nature. I'll look forward to seeing those prints go for sale, although I'll likely not be able to afford one.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I wonder the price of them too. He mentioned that there's another fan site that either is showing his work. I think this is it. http://carollspinney.netfirms.com/docs/art.html but I don't think these are the prints.

This was a great day for me considering that I couldn't make it to the Fest. Plus, I think it's funny all the Gonzo issues I've been connected with this week. :concern:

(edited to update the info)

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Jamie,

Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like it was as memorable of an experience as I had in Naperville.

As I've been reading everyone's stories, tt makes we wonder if we should compile some of our experiences into a short book and send it to Caroll to say "thanks" for being such a gentleman.

Luke

Reaction score
Fantastic news Jamie - did you mention the action figure 'issues' with Dave ?

I think Dave Goelz is fantastic (*waves to Dave*), he's my favorite Muppeteer by far, such a nice guy and i've never criticised his work (even sticking up for him when that MC 'Hill' article insinuated those disgusting 'things') so i'm very happy he's a Muppet Central visitor. If Brian Henson ever visits i'm gonna be pretty stuck though ......

:eek:

Hays

Reaction score
Scott, I've been thinking about that, myself - I don't think he really realizes how much he's affected all of us. He says as much in the book: "I may be the most unknown famous person in America" (it's a terrific book, couldn't put it down. Sad about China)

How should we do it? Start a thread that we'll snail mail to Mr. Spinney? I'll be happy to collaborate in any way - let me know.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I was pretty nervous so I didn't know quite what to say to Dave Goelz. He's a really nice guy. I should have asked him what color he thinks Bunsen is. LOL! Oh, well. He seemed excited by the Henson buy back, as did Spinney. So it seems the performers are happy. That's important in my book. :smile:

We could form a thank you letter. I wouldn't know how to do it, but it's a nice idea.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Jamie,

Thats fantastic !

Your very lucky, I heard that Karen Prell and Mike Quinn attended another signing in SF too !

Congrats!

PS, I sent Caroll a thank you letter !

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yup. They went to the one in Berkley. That's a bit out of the city so I went to the one close by. Wish I could have seen Karen and Mike, but I'm sure they'll make it to a guild meeting sometime soon. :excited: