Cartoon shows that didn't make it

Drtooth

Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to tell you all a story about several cartoon shows that were being developed, but never aired on television:

Rah Rah Woozy ( also known asWoozy State)
The last cartoon pilot developed by Jay Ward of Bullwinkle fame. It featured a college football team starring various animals (I can't specifically name them now, but I intend on doing so late). Jay was a big fan of college football, so naturally he wanted to make a show about it. The pilot was developed and filmed, but never sold. In fact, a 1980 proposition called "The New Bullwinkle show" was to have had this as a feature.

Marsupilami
You may be familiar with the 1993 Disney version that was featured in Raw Toonage. However, the character had been around since the 60's, as a Belgian comic strip (much like the Smurfs). Either a Pilot or a series Bible (animation term for a book describing the characters, plots, and settings) was produced by Marvel back in 1983. (In case you're wondering, a new Marsupilami show aired in Europe in 2002, and unlike Disney's version, he wasn't the only Marsupilami in existance) This was written by the king of 1980's cartoon scripts, Jeffery Scott....

Speaking of him, he also tried to blend his job as head writer for Muppet Babies with his grandfather's legacy as Moe of the Three Stooges to combine
Wee Stoogesin 1994. As you can probably tell, baby three stooges. he actually tried to revive new stooge projects for a while, and the only one that was developed was a Las Vegas stage show. Actually, this guy wrote a lot of cartoons in the 80's and 90's. I have a how to write for animation book that has a filmography. A lot of projects he developed or wrote for didn't tkae off the ground. Some were promising, like a 1983 X-men cartoon, and one based of Marvel's Secret wars, and some were thankfunnly dismissed... like a Menudo cartoon.

But let's get back to usless Muppet Babies ripoffs.
Disney Babies
Apparently they were trying to make money off of the baby fad by making Mickey et al toddlers. Though the idea surfaced as a number of products and apparel, a show was thankfully never produced.

Then there's the tale of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation
go to www.ninjaturtles.com and you'll find a couple proposed shows (on on Kids' WB, on CGI) but even rarer is this one. remeber the Live action series? Well, it flopped , contrary to what fans feel,not because of poor ratings, but lack of budget. Season 2 was to have been completely animated. However, Venus DiMilo (Denounced by fans and ever Peter Laird) was to have been in the cast, so I'm glad they just ended it as is, especially since the current show turned out nicely.

Austin Powers was to have had his own show as well. Between The Spy who shagged me, and Goldmeber, plans for a cartoon for HBO were announced. It was to have had Mike Myers reprising his roles, and probably some of the other stars were to have joined him as well. While it's unclear if this just died, or it was a rumor to begin with, it never made it. And it's a shame, since it would have worked pretty good in animated form.

Remember a short lived game series about Bubsy the Bobcat? Bohott entertainment and Dic DID produce a pilot of this one, and it actually aired one Thanksgiving. I recall it was VERRRRRY similar to Eek the cat. Since Bubsy wasn't that popular a game anyway, the show never made it past one episode.

and finally, I close with The Adventures of Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Trust me... I am not making this up. BAck about 2001 or 2002, ABC came to Dic entertainment with the proposal of this series. While I can't think of any reason for it, I recall the pitch was reported in the paper. My recallection is fuzzy, but Dic CEO Andy Heyward said, "it would be fun to think of what the winners will do with their money and the adventures they'll have" or something to that extent. Mercifully, the actuall program's popularity died before they could develope the series any further. But, this was the same time period when Dic made Sabrina the series, Evolution the series (based of the flop film) and that Mary Kate and Ashley spy series.

Well, that's all I have for now, so if you know of anyothers you want to discuss, please post some.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The only ones that come to my mind are Mike, Lu & Og, and Sheep in the Big City, because they both only lasted for like two seasons, or a season and a half, and then they went off the air COMPLETELY.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
What about all the crud the last two years on Fox Kids?

Fighting Foodongs: Pokemon rip-off with food items as the critters... Really lame how it came off.
That show about Kid Muscle, how he got muscly from eating meat... Another borefest.
Shaman King, somewhat decent, but it got killed off. Cartoon Network made a big to-do about when they brought it in for repeats, but they only aired four episodes only once.
Mew Mew Power, this one I liked, but it too was axed for the bleh Magical Do-Re-Mi (yawn).

BTW: One Piece isn't dead, it's gotten new life in Toonami on Cartoon Network but no longer airs on Fox.

And then we get to the shows I liked that CN killed off because of time shifts.
Knights of the Zodiac, moved it to the midnight slot and got lost in the shuffle after that.
Yu-Yu-Hackasho... Moved that one to 5:30 AM Saturdays, hardly see it any more though I liked that one too.
Ravemaster... They spliced into that series with all the premieres and double showings of other episodes. And now they're doing the same to Duel Masters.

That's all I got.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
The new He-Man adventure that came out back in 2002 only survived two seasons and then it was canceled. I liked that show.

I also feel that The Real Ghostbusters should have gone more because it was a cool cartoon show back in the 80's and early 90's, but the powers that be decided to let it go.

What about Denver The Last Dinosaur. That show was on the air for a short time and then it was gone sometime in 1989.

I think Darkwing Duck could have gone longer too, but the show was canceled.

Or even Animaniacs would have been great for a few more years longer.

ryan

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Count said:
Fighting Foodongs: Pokemon rip-off with food items as the critters... Really lame how it came off.
That show about Kid Muscle, how he got muscly from eating meat... Another borefest.

I always thought it was a bit easy to pick on Ultimate Muscle, especially since people only know half the story watching Toei's watered down, kiddy friendly version. TRUST ME on this one. Read the Manga. It's leaps and bounds better than anything that made it into the cartoon.

Plus kid never got Muscley from eating Meat... he's just obsessed with Gyudon... another way Toei tried to make the show like it's 1979 first weeks counterpart. Think very goofy, and not gorey. ANd it did do well enough for 4Kids to order 26 more episodes from Toei to round out the series. The show was a huge bomb in Japan... but (once again) the manga is still going to this day.

With that said... by cartoons that didn't make it, I meant American produced shows that never made it to air, and pilots were never produced. Things that never aired and will never air.

But, considering Anime, I'll relent one thing... in 1989, Golden Harvest (I think I got the name right) dubbed the first episode of Dr. Slump (for those of you who don't know, Akira Toryama's first manga gig before Dragon Ball about a crazy lovesick egotistical scientist who built a crazy android daughter), but it never got anywhere after that (VHS or Televised). Considering the subject mater for the second episode... let's just say the girl robot (Arale-chan) wasn't anatomically correct... and this was a kids show BTW.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't really read mangas, blind batty eyes you know... But thanks for the info.
Just watch loads of TV. Going through a bit of withdrawal, cable's out and it's not till tomorrow afternoon they come fix it.

Xerus

Reaction score
I kind of wished Attack of the Killer Tomtaoes would've continued. But it only lasted a season and a half.

And Yogi's Space Race was great, but it was quickly cancelled a half year later.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Alot of people including myself had wished Courage the Cowardly Dog was renewed for a 5th season, but CN kept ignoring us.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Count said:
Don't really read mangas, blind batty eyes you know... But thanks for the info.
Just watch loads of TV. Going through a bit of withdrawal, cable's out and it's not till tomorrow afternoon they come fix it.
Shell... If I could, I'd come over and read some to yah! Sorry if I seem defensive Count old bean... I'm extremely passionate about my old 1980's toy lines based on 1979 Ultraman parodies... all one of them.

But does anyone else have any unsold pilots, and not just shows that got cancelled?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That's OK Drtooth old chap... I'd be defensive too about something I loved passionately like that.

Pilots instead of cancelled series? Nope, sorry. None I know of.