Cat puppets for a Movie please help!!!

puppetise

Reaction score
Hey guys i have come up with a concept for a movie and need help with the puppets there is a group of 4 ally cats two gonns of the leader which will be in a trash can (think of oscar) and i need help with how to shoot them imm planning on making thenm dance on the fence i thought off marionet versions aswell as glove but i need help with figuring this out as they would be singing while doing it anny advice would help
:confused:

cheers -wayne-

Blink

Reaction score
puppetise said:
Hey guys i have come up with a concept for a movie and need help with the puppets there is a group of 4 ally cats two gonns of the leader which will be in a trash can (think of oscar) and i need help with how to shoot them imm planning on making thenm dance on the fence i thought off marionet versions aswell as glove but i need help with figuring this out as they would be singing while doing it anny advice would help
:confused:

cheers -wayne-
Bunraku style puppets against a green screen (or blue). Puppeteers wear green suits (much like The Book of Pooh). That would work.

Just make sure that the puppets you have do not have too much thin fur coming off their bodies (nothing long). The reason being that the fur will be a nightmare to key out in post production. If there are any editors out there they will poably say the same thing. If you can design the puppets to have more of a clean line/short fur around them, it will look much better after the background has been keyed in.

Here
is a great example of a cat puppet that would work great against a green screen (minus the furry cheeks and top of the head). Just something to think about.

puppetise

Reaction score
well thats a greet idea but i dont have the software becauseim only 15 any other ideas? but thanks if there was a way to do this while hiding the puppeteer???? how about cutting in shots of there face with their marionet vesoins dancing and when they hqave a line cut in the face movements?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Look up an old puppetry technique called "Czech Curtain of Light" (sometimes called "Black Theatre"). It's the same idea as blue/green screen puppetry, but uses black. The puppeteers dress in black against black and the lights are carefully placed so that there's a thin strip (or "curtain") of light for the puppets to perform in. By adjusting the camera's settings so the blacks saturate (you can do this in post) then the puppeteers are rendered virtually invisible.

They used this approach on the Muppet Show quite a bit. It would work well for a nighttime alley scene.

puppetise

Reaction score
wow buck thats close to what i want but there is a house behind the wall maybey i could move it along is there a site i could read more on this?iInt this what they uses for the fireries on labrinth should i watch the special fetures closer to learn a bit more but just not supperipose onto the film?

cheers -wayne-

puppetise

Reaction score
im googleing but having trouble gee buck your the man with the answers this is going to be great any sites with info please post

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
If you click the link I posted above, the first two pages or so have sites with good information.

puppetise

Reaction score
gee thanks guyz any more techniques would be great