Celebrate the Holidays with Abby!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, SW has done it again... clearly they're using Abby to get all kinds of merchandising bucks that Zoe could never get. This weekend, I saw some cool holiday stuff if you're an Abby enthusiast.

For Halloween, they have an Abby plastic trick or treat pail shaped like her head. They also have a plush one, with a picture of Abby printed on it.

And For Christmas, they have a mini- ornament collection with Abby as one of the pieces (I'm talking the Kurt Adler ones) as well as an Abby Christmas stocking.

I wish Grover got this sort of stuff...:smirk:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Not that I hate Abby but she is being marketed by the same sort of people that seem to think pink is the only color that will sell with My Little Pony :stick_out_tongue:. I wish that they did not have to play the 'everyone who is three loves pink' card to get anything to outsell Elmo (You know, my first favorite color was red but I did not pay any mind to Elmo at all, werid)...Or design muppets around Elmo, like Zoe, rather than the whole family of SS collectively :frown:. And why not have characters that speak other things besides Spanish to? I miss when just the humans were the main spanish teachers honestly...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Not that I hate Abby but she is being marketed by the same sort of people that seem to think pink is the only color that will sell with My Little Pony :stick_out_tongue:
Definitely agree with that! I like Abby too but I was upset with some of her early publicity. Someone was quoted in the New York Times saying Women's Lib had already done it's job so she didn't mind her daughter being all princessy. I'm sorry but "Women's Lib" still has a long way to go, and I wouldn't be so carefree about it, heh.

And yet again, SS is kinda forcing kids to pick the most popular character.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Oh, it's really nothing about women's lib to me, I don't mind girly girl as some of my favorite toy lines could be thought of as that, but like MLP, I just hate what marketers think of as girly being limited to pink and purple. What about green? Or white? You know, now that I think of it, Abby would have been so pretty in white and silver, she could have been a snow fairy :smile:...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh, it's really nothing about women's lib to me, I don't mind girly girl as some of my favorite toy lines could be thought of as that, but like MLP, I just hate what marketers think of as girly being limited to pink and purple. What about green? Or white? You know, now that I think of it, Abby would have been so pretty in white and silver, she could have been a snow fairy :smile:...
Yeah I don't mean girls can't be pretty and all. But like you said, the emphasis with little girls is almost all pink and bright. Like they can't be anything else. I think it can be damaging.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Yeah I don't mean girls can't be pretty and all. But like you said, the emphasis with little girls is almost all pink and bright. Like they can't be anything else. I think it can be damaging.
I remember when we were little the focus was on rainbow colors IMHO, and you could pretty much pick your favorite...But then, the 80's and early 90's were more colorful for everyone:excited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I remember when we were little the focus was on rainbow colors IMHO, and you could pretty much pick your favorite...But then, the 80's and early 90's were more colorful for everyone:excited:
That's a good way to look at it, differences rock!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Definitely agree with that! I like Abby too but I was upset with some of her early publicity. Someone was quoted in the New York Times saying Women's Lib had already done it's job so she didn't mind her daughter being all princessy. I'm sorry but "Women's Lib" still has a long way to go, and I wouldn't be so carefree about it, heh.

And yet again, SS is kinda forcing kids to pick the most popular character.
I still think the problem is they want to jump all over the popularity that Dora had, and they were always struggling to get a big female role into the show. Zoe, Rosita, and Prarie Dawn seem to be the staples, but we've lost the likes of Merry (or Mary) Monster, Lulu, Elizabeth, Google, Pheobe, Betty Lou, etc. etc. etc. etc. And while Elmo has appeal that crosses the genders, they really needed a marketable female. Though, I still say Rosita is an underrated Latina in Kid's shows... she has more personality than Dora.

Personally, the one Abby thing I'd want is a small PVC in scale to the others. So far, I haven't seen that yet.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You forgot Ruby to be picky. :crazy:

But serously, The difference between Abby And Elmo is that while Elmo appeals to both genders, he is not girlie, but Abby is in appearance, but not completely in character. But they are both being mass marketed. *shrug*

Redsonga

Reaction score
You forgot Ruby to be picky. :crazy:

But serously, The difference between Abby And Elmo is that while Elmo appeals to both genders, he is not girlie, but Abby is in appearance, but not completely in character. But they are both being mass marketed. *shrug*
Ruby was my favorite. If I didn't know that she was much too young I would say she quit the show because Zoe is her daughter:coy:. The shock...