1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

3. "Muppet Guys Talking" Debuts On-line
    Watch the inspiring documentary "Muppet Guys Talking", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppet release of the year.

4. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Celebrating Jerry Juhl

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Fozzie Bear, Sep 28, 2005.

1. MuppetfraggleEX

MuppetfraggleEX New Member

I am with you there. I don't have a whole lot of faith in Disney not to mess things up though. This is the end of an era. I am really sad about all of it. We miss you all!:sympathy: :cry: :(

2. spcglider

spcglider Member

News to make you sad.

I just got the news that Jerry Juhl has passed away.

Jerry was only very recently diagnosed with cancer and was undergoing aggressive chemotherapy at the time of the LA Muppet/Disney auditions.

I have been in touch with Jerry since 2000, when we met at Puppetmania 2000 in LA and I was lucky enough to be picked to participate in his writing workshop. He came to St.Paul in July for the national Puppetry Festival and ran the same workshop. Jennifer and I were pleased to be able to take him to dinner (before which we drove him on a tour of his childhood stomping grounds in St.Paul, including the State Fairgrounds). As always, he was a superior dinner conversationalist and filled us with lore and legend about Jim and the Muppets.

When Jennifer and I visited San Francisco a few years ago, Jerry was kind enough to drive down from Caspar to take us on a tour of San Fran. We spent an amazing day with him rummaging through Chinatown and driving up into the hills and looking at streetcars and hitting every antique store we came across. I grilled him mercilessly about all things Muppet. He was so very gracious and answered almost every question. Those he didn't answer with a direct response, he answered with "You should go to Muppet Central... they'll know the answer to that one!"

Jerry was always a complete gem. He would read every piece I sent to him (even the stuff I was writing for my comic book series) and give me incredibly helpful advice and encouragement. We found a similar attitude towards current events and politics and shared our mutual discouragement with the current president via plenty of email.

An amazing talent. A true gentleman. A legendary mentor.

I'm going to miss him.

-Gordon

3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I think Disney will do just fine ultimately (which I know is a complete turn around from my original worries), because they still have a contract to keep the JHC involved, and considering that several of the last couple of projects did not include Jerry J completely (unfortunately) I don't think he had much to do with the whole Disney push at all anyhow. As a matter of fact, I've seen more Muppets since Disney owned them than before.

MY big worry is how can the JHC now produce a Fraggle movie without him, and maybe without JerryN? Here's hoping that JerryJ left behind some writings to be used.

Man, such a historical talent!

4. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

Yeah maybe the last 20 years he has a outline of what they want

i nice tribute to Jerry Juhl and Jim Henson

5. Fozzie Bear

Indeed it would be! :)

6. Fozzie Bear

That made me laugh!!

7. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

I had no idea he grew up in St. Paul! I feel like such a bad Minnesotan! Oh well, it's really neat to know that and gives me something else to feel pride about. I'm still so sad that he's gone though.

8. abiraniriba

abiraniriba New Member

Bye Jerry

Goodbye Jerry I will miss you :cry:

9. Punch'n'Judy

Punch'n'Judy New Member

Sad, sad news. But Jerry has left behind a legacy that I for one, and am sure many others, will treasure for many years to come.

10. spcglider

spcglider Member

Jerry's father was a landscaper. Most of the older trees on most of the college campuses in Minnesota were probably placed there by Jerry's Dad.

He told me about when he was a kid and he and his friends would ride their bikes to the main gates of the State Fair and be there when they opened just to be the first ones in.

His family moved from Minnesota when he was about ten years old or so.

He still has relatives in Iowa. Some of them came up for the Jim Henson Legacy presentation at the St.Paul Puppet Festival.

In answer to the question about whether or not Jerry had anything he was working on for a new Fraggle offering, I spoke with him about that very subject. His admission to me was, "We did everything we wanted to do with the Fraggles." So no, he hadn't really thought about anything new. I pressed him about the idea and, in typical Jerry fashion, he subsequently challenged me to write up a treatment! He was such a man as to admit that somebody else might have a good idea that he and the rest of the writers hadn't thought about and was willing to listen and contribute. Ladies and gents, THAT is class.

But that seems to be the type of people that Mr. Henson drew to him. Which says alot about the man himself, as he was able to maintain their respect and loyalty for so many years.

In the time I knew Jerry, he never had a single negative thing to say about Jim... or about anyone for that matter (except for the aforementioned Presidental Administration) ;)

-Gordon

11. Fozzie Bear

Minnesota-bred greats: Charles "Sparky" Schulz and Jerry Juhl. Two great talents and awesome entertainers.

Thanks for keeping the remembrances going, Gordon.

12. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

We will miss you, Jerry Juhl

Wow! I can't really say that I know Jerry Juhl- only know of him and his work. But it's really saddening to hear that he has passed away. He has been one of the greatest Muppet writers and wrote some of the best and most loved specials that I like- particularly Muppet Family Christmas. It's so sad to see him go. It seems this year a lot of childhood heroes have died.
    Dana Elcar- "Pete Thornton" on MacGyver
    Bob Denver- "Gilligan" on "Gilligan's Island" and "Maynard G. Krebs" on "The Many, Many Loves of Dobie Gillis"
    Don Adams- "Maxwell Smart" on "Get Smart" and the voice of Inspector Gadget

And now Jerry Juhl.

They will all be remembered and their work lives on.
    :sympathy: :( :cry:

13. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

Constance Brown Passed away last night also the First Black female Lawyer who defended Brown vs the BOE

14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Has this been an awful week or what? First, Don Adams, voice of my childhood hero passed away, now the great writing force behind the Muppet movies and show? This is quite a lot of depressing news in one week. It is such a shame that his last years with the Henson team weren't so great, after seeing Muppets from space totally changed. We all had big dreams he'd come back and write for the Muppets once again, but now it looks like it's gone. He truely was a talented man, and he will be sorely missed.

BTW, is there any kind of e-mail message we can sign and send his family?

15. Krazedmuppet

Krazedmuppet Active Member

Yes if there is, tell me about it too.

16. ReneeLouvier

ReneeLouvier Active Member

Oh, gosh...

This is just so saddening! :( And then to realize that many others have died, as well as one of our own?? That's just too much for one's mind to comprehend! Jim, Richard, Erin (I'm assuming Erin Ozker?), and now Jerry. Frank's pretty much left (cept for special spots, I believe.), the same with Jerry Nelson! Who's left that is the original Muppeters??

:concern: Dave Golez, who is now getting into his late 40's-50's. This is too much the past is falling away, and the future is somewhat uncertain. I pray that they'll keep the magic alive, and be able to keep them in the spotlight, and not whore them out, as it sounds like they may do. *("They" - Disney's Muppet Holding Company LLC.)

17. spcglider

spcglider Member

rememberances

Let me say this: I am so very fortunate to have known Jerry even for the short time I did. Even more fortunate to have been able to spend time with him on several occasions.

And more: Knowing the depth of love I have for my wife Jennifer, if there was any way for me to forfeit that time and return it to Jerry's wife Susan so that she could have it with him instead, I would in an instant.

-Gordon

18. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

I had two or three opportunities where I had the chance to meet Jerry Juhl and never did due to conflicting circumstances. However, while I wasn't close friends with Mr. Juhl I corresponded with him via e-mail every once in awhile particularly around the holidays. He was always so funny and kind to me in his e-mails and kept promising we would meet one day. Well unfortunately we never did but I'm glad to have had the correspondence with him that I did and he always remembered my name and who I was even if I hadn't e-mailed him between long periods of time. I first met him on the old Prodigy on-line service BEFORE Prodigy internet, etc. on this puppetry discussion board (which is also how I came to know Steve Whitmire and Craig Shaiman.) Jerry will be missed and may his family find comfort knowing what a legacy he left his fans.

19. AruggeRadio

AruggeRadio Member

This is truly sad, the Muppets wouldn't have been the Muppets without Jerry Juhl. Sadly i think a lot of the charm and humor left the muppets when Jerry wasn't as involved with the writing. I never knew there was a St. Paul connection to the muppets and being from St. Paul it puts a smile on my face.

I wish everyone in Jerry's family the best during this difficult time. Jim, Richard and now Jerry are up there now working on the greatest Muppet Show unfortunately all of us will have to wait to see.

Christopher

20. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Is there an address where I can send a card or something to his family or the henson company or anything? Do you think that would even be okay to do? :sympathy: