1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Celebration Of Me Grover DVD

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by Dantecat, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Dantecat

Dantecat Active Member

Never Mind Philo and Gunge,I finally found it! ;)
  2. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

I just watched it last night and this morning and it is AWESOME! No waiter sketches, but that was partly because Grover and Fat Blue were fighting it out again at the party! Also, Super Grover had a HUGE role! 2 sketches and the Journey of SuperGrover to the Flyer's Club Roost! Big Bird was too funny! He said, "Never say 'roast' near a chicken!" and Oscar the Grouch started saying "Roast" to the chicken! What great sketches were on there, too! Lena Horne and Grover's "How Do You Do" song, Grover as the wig salesman, Grover and Elmo with singing telegrams! Great fun! Even "Over, Around, and Through" (Grover version) was funny! Grover was trying to make the audience understand these things and he didn't think we understood it, and at the end, he faints! Cute! The hugs and kisses montage sketch was good, just made me want to get a Grover of my own by Gund!

BJ
  3. alizakaila

alizakaila New Member

from usatoday

Grover parlays 'Street' cred into DVD gig
    By Thomas K. Arnold, Special for USA TODAY
    Sesame Street's Grover may not be aware he appears on TV, but the media-savvy Muppet does know who Fahrenheit 9/11 filmmaker Michael Moore is. We caught up with Grover as his new DVD, A Celebration of Me, Grover (Sony Wonder, $13), arrives in stores, marking the 35th season of the children's TV show.

He's come a long way from waiting tables on 'Sesame Street': Grover now has his own DVD.
    Sony Wonder

Celebration looks back on some of Grover's most memorable moments, with fellow cast members Big Bird, Elmo and the Cookie Monster reminiscing about their furry blue friend and his famous work ethic. Grover has been a waiter, a disco dancer, a lawman, an elevator operator, a taxi driver, even a wig salesman.

Grover is not always very good at what he does, but his work ethic is admirable. It's one of the most important lessons he teaches kids.

When we call Grover's number, a woman named Alicia picks up the phone. She patches in Grover, who sometimes relies on Frank Oz to express himself.

Q: So, you have a personal assistant?

A: Are you talking about Elmo? Oh, her. Well, you know, I am a busy guy, and it's very hard for me to keep track of my schedule sometimes, so I have to hire people on to help with that.

Q: You've had a lot of jobs over the years, Grover.

A: I work through a temp agency called Grover's Temps. It's my own agency. In fact, I'm the sole proprietor and employee.

Q: Which of your many jobs did you like the best?

A: I worked as a waiter, a hot dog vendor and a traveling sales monster, but I think my very favorite was being a stenographer.

Q: Why did you like that?

A: It's so exciting — you can't believe how exciting — and you learn so much. Did you know you have to know how to read and write?

Q: You don't say.

A: Yes, once I learned that, it got really fun. At first I just drew pictures, but that didn't really cut it.

Q: What job haven't you done that you might like to try?

A: Actually, I think I would love to go into television. I have things I want to say.

Q: Like what?

A: I think I would love to teach little children about their ABCs and 123s and how important it is to be nice to one another and help each other.

Q: Kids are looking forward to your new movie.

A: I have a new movie? Really? Michael Moore didn't make it, did he?

Q: No, no. It's a DVD called A Celebration of Me, Grover, with all your friends from Sesame Streetsaying what a great guy you are and remembering all the jobs you've done. It's all about you.

A: That happens to one of my favorite subjects. I'm very proud of myself. I'm proud of my blue fur; I'm proud of the way I can say the alphabet and the way that I can run near and very far away. I am pretty much proud of everything about myself — and I think everybody should be that way.

Q: Is there one pearl of wisdom you'd like to tell the children of the world?

A: It's important to listen to each other, to help each other and to care for each other — and to brush your teeth.
  4. ceecee

ceecee Member

Last Thursday, (2 days after it came out) I really REALLY wanted to get the "Celebration of Me" DVD. So I went to Target. They did not have it at all! Then Wal-Mart. They only had it on VHS. So I bought it anyway.

I was really disappointed that there weren't any classic waiter skits. But otherwise, it was entertaining. I'm glad there was some old stuff on it. I love "How do you do?" with Lena Horne, and "Alphabet Fever." I hadn't seen that stuff in years!

Anyway, I'm glad I got it, but not too bummed about not getting it on DVD.
  5. Dantecat

Dantecat Active Member

Ceecee,If you get The DVD Version Of It,It Just Includes a Grover Matching Game.
  6. Dantecat

Dantecat Active Member

What's Chapter's 6 and 9 about?

(6)Grover Flies...and Lands

and

(9)Elephant in the Phone Booth

Anybody?
  7. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

(6) is probably a montage of Super Grover segments.
  8. ceecee

ceecee Member

Yep, "Grover Flies..and Lands" is a montage of Super Grover's bad landings.

"Elephant in the Phone Booth" has to do with Grover having to change into Super Grover in a phone booth. But there is an elephant stuck in the phone booth, so Grover tries to help. (He's trying to get to the Roast/Roost on time)
  9. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

Is "Alphabet Fever" a montage of Grover's best dancing segments, or is it one in particular?
  10. Dantecat

Dantecat Active Member

No MuppetDude,I Think It's Just The One In Particular,It's Called The ABC Disco With Grover Disco Dancing!!! :cool:
  11. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

:cool: One of my favorites. But one of the pictures that another forum member gave us was one of Grover dancing in "Rappin' Alphabet". Is this part of a montage?

Okay, enough questions from me; I've got to see this tape!

Okay, one more question, and it's more of everyone else's opinion; do you think that the "Grover Celebration" special is more like a "Best of Kermit" video, meaning that it's got plenty of classic moments, or like "Best of Ernie and Bert", where some of the clips may not be "classics" or well-known?
  12. ceecee

ceecee Member

"Alphabet Fever" is indeed Grover at the disco. (A spoof on "Saturday Night Fever") There isn't any part with rapping.

I would say this video is mostly new filler material with a few really good classics. With all the terrific Grover material out there, it's a bummer that more is not included on this "celebration."
  13. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I loved every bit of it and I hope they make a Celeration of Herry Monster. I would love to see a Herry one. They need one of Herry. I Herry too. My favorite skit or song that is the Alphabet Fever. It was years before I had seen it. I was suprised to see it and amazed by it. That is one of my favorite songs on SS w/ Grover. I glad they made a DVD for Grover. Thanks SWC. :)
  14. erniebert1234ss

Sad...I LOVE Herry! What ever happened to him? I believe Richard Hunt performed him and when he died, that was the end of him.

My memory is fuzzy and blue (SS reference!) today.

BJ
  15. Dantecat

Dantecat Active Member

Sorry BJ,Herry Was Performed By Jerry Nelson.
  16. erniebert1234ss

Thank you Dantecat! I had a brain burp this morning! ;) My next question is this: On the DVD credits, it said that Jerry Nelson performed Fat Blue. Is that true??? If he isn't performing him now, who is? Thanx!

BJ
  17. Dantecat

Dantecat Active Member

Yes It Is True BJ!But Guess What Everybody,I Finally Bought The DVD At Kmart And They Only Wanted $8.99 For It!!! :excited: I'm Really Glad I Got It And It Was Wonderful!! ;) Plenty Of Montage Skits Of Grover's Work Song And Two Of Them Even Had Kermit On Them. :) I Really Liked The Whole DVD Filled With Old And Vintage Skits,It Was So Fun!!!!!
  18. Dantecat

Dantecat Active Member

I Also Saw Sully Too!But Other Jobs Were Not Listed On That DVD Like:Camp Counselor,Gym Teacher,Selling Food From The Movie Theater,A Photographer,A Baker,and Many Others!!!

Anyway The DVD Was Really Good And I'm Really Glad I Just Got It Yesterday At Kmart For $8.99 Which Was Absolutely A Bargain Then Tower Records,Borders,Toys R Us,Etc.For $12.99.

Great Price Huh? :)
  19. erniebert1234ss

I'm watching it for the umpteen millionth time right now and it is still funny as ****! I LOVED THE WIG SALESMAN SKETCH! Especially the "pet guinea pig" at the end! Love everything in there! I love the Big Bird comments, although the "I wish I could tell time" number is too funny!

I also want to support Sesame Workshop any way I can! Is there any Grover merchandise I can get at someplace like Wal-Mart? Thanx in advance!

BJ
  20. erniebert1234ss

Super Grover's crash-landing montage is so funny! Another viewing! I love that!

BJ